Freeing up hard drive space

chuckluck

I have a 75 GB hard drive but only 1.67 GB of free space which is very hard to work with. I understand OS files (I have xp) take up some space and i have some programs installed but none of them are very large. So how can I free up some more space on my hard drive. I also noticed something when I was checking the file sizes of some of the folders on my drive. "C:\Documents and Settings\Arcade\My Documents\Desktop" is 43 GB. Is this the right location for the "Desktop" folder and is there any way I could reduce the size.

chuckluck

Ya I totally agree, but I don't really have the money right now. Anyway I found the problem. There was a file in "C:\Documents and Settings\Arcade\My Documents\Desktop" called "picture package"(38GB) and my mom had saved all the videos from her camera there. So advice to anyone who has little room on their hard drive and does not understand why. Just look at the sizes of the files on your hard drive and that should lead you to the problem. BUT STAY AWAY FROM SYSTEM FILES!!! Unless you know what you're doing.

Jamin43

banned
Ya I totally agree, but I don't really have the money right now. .

If CCleaner doesn't do the job for you - you might want ot download Treesize free trial ( good for 30 days ). I had a simliar situation a while back - with a 20GB HDD that was holding my OS and a few applicaitnos - but was bursting at the seems with stored data.

Treesize gives you a nice pie chart where you can find a bunch of files you don't need. Storage of flv videos / images / websites - etc that you may have visited years ago - and are tucked away in the dark areas of your hard drive.

You can use the pie chart to direct you where to look and see if there are any files that you can delete - that aren't needed.