Freelancer + Vista

chriskmee

Well, i was going to ask Microsoft this directly, but i think its outrageous they charge you $60 to ask them something, so i came here.

Here is my problem. I just bought the game Freelancer and i think its a pretty good game. the problem is that i cant get it to connect online, but 1 player works fine. I have done some research and have found that the problem is probably directplay, either vista doesn't have it or it doesn't work the same way that xp's does.

So, is there a way to get this directplay on vista or make freelancer work with it?

I have windows firewall and macafee security. I know windows firewall is not the problem because i turned it off and it still didn't work. Then there is Macafee, i have a free version that comes with having comcast, and i have disabled the firewall on it.

If anyone has some suggestions i would love to hear them. I would love to try and play this game online.

System:
HP DV9500t
Core2Duo t7700 2.4Ghtz
Nvidia Gforce 8600m gs
2 gigs RAM
Vista Home Premium 32
2 160GB 5400RPM HDD

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
I dont have Vista myself (yet), so I dont have experience with it, but, do you have problems with other games aswell? (I mean, simmilair problems)
because that could say something about, weither its vista having a problem with freelancer, or a network problem (i suppose)

anyways, if i remember right Vista does include DirectPlay, but not DirectPlay Voice or Direct3D Retained Mode. (whatever that means)

Last edited:

PunterCam

Totally useless this post this, but I love that game! I played through it again the other week, and it's awesome - but obviously really boring once you finish the story. Now I'm back into Mafia - I love the older games, they just shit on cod4 and crysis so badly.

Anyway, in regards to your question, no idea, sorry. Freelancer online doesn't work for me in XP though, couldn't work out why

chriskmee

YAY, I SOLVED IT

I saw quite a few people saying that you should uninstall your antivirus if it is macafee or norton, so i thought i would give it a try because i have macafee. To my surprise it worked.

If anybody decides that they want to do this, i would suggest downloading AVG Free edition (anti virus) and spybot search and destroy (spyware). I downloaded these and they are great, not to mention free.

I can now happily play freelancer online, yay!

PunterCam, are you having the problem when you try to connect and it says "connecting to global server" and doesn't do anything, or do you see servers and when you try to join you get a message similar to " sorry, cannot connect, this is usually because the server is down....."?

If the global server one, i would suggest downloading x-fire, a gaming Instant messenger, you can see and join server from that. If the second, which was my problem, its probably antivirus software that needs to be uninstalled.

YAY, im so happy i can finally play freelancer online

PunterCam

It's been a couple of weeks, but I think it just held up on connecting to server - I don't think I ever saw servers. I don't run any antivirus programs and just use windows firewall which has been told to let freelancer connect. Dunno why it's not working but hey...

chriskmee

I know exactly why you cant connect, its because microsoft took down the global server you are trying to connect to, if you want to play online, download x-fire, and you can search for all freelancer servers other people have made there. there are at least 50 servers avaliable. just click on one of those in x-fire and you should be able to connect.