Freesync/G sync

Freeman3030

Hi all,
I'm currently contemplating parts/researching my new PC. I'm currently using a 2011 iMac and also have a 2 year old Windows laptop.
I really want an ultra wide screen monitor and thought about buying it now so the research process is easier with a nice large screen. However, I've been looking at LG ultra widescreens and they have freesync technology, but I expect I'll end up getting a PC with a nvidea card but gsync screens are that bit more expensive. Originally I was only going to spend £200 on a couple of regular monitors but since seeing Ultra widescreens, the budget has gone out of the window and looking at spending £500! Need to reign it in a bit!

beers

Staff member
Depends on what gpu you plan on rolling really. I'd settle on a card (using the gsync premium as a decision factor). Once you have the card picked out just get the matching sync version.

_Kyle_

Well, as long as your pc can push the pixels, you shouldn't even need the Freesync/gsync. All it does is lock the FPS your computer is pushing out, and if you are not gaming, and widescreen monitor will do.

beers

Staff member
you shouldn't even need the Freesync/gsync
You can still observe a lot of screen tearing type of behavior even at high framerates.

Freesync/G-Sync are superior to the classic vsync as you have a synchronized variable refresh rate, which reduces input lag to a significant degree over a static sync speed like 60Hz/60fps.

_Kyle_

You can still observe a lot of screen tearing type of behavior even at high framerates.

Freesync/G-Sync are superior to the classic vsync as you have a synchronized variable refresh rate, which reduces input lag to a significant degree over a static sync speed like 60Hz/60fps.
Oh wow, I never noticed screen tearing. I had no idea monitors with Freesync/GSync even prevented that. Thanks!