Freeze-Four Beeps

TarlsQtr

Hi all.

I have an Acer AX1935-UR20P
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel G630
Intel HD Graphics

If you need information I did not know to provide, the specs page for this model is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103788

I began having issues when I installed Windows 10. I would get the blue screen of death with a different error message just about every time (kernel security check error more than once). I reverted back to Windows 7 and it worked fine. Reinstalled 10 about and after working well for a week or two, the computer started having issues again. I reinstalled 7 (factory reset) yesterday but the problem described below is still occurring.

I don't know if Windows 10 is a coincidence or related.

After going to 10 the second time, I would also just get just the screen freeze. No mouse, nothing. It did not matter if I was on something that takes more resources like YouTube or just on a news website. I then hard reboot it. When I turn it back on I usually get four beeps. The CPU then goes off with the fan on. I then hard reboot again and sometimes it will do it again and other times it will reboot and function normally.

The only other thing I can think of that might be relevant is that it pretty much always does it about 10-15 minutes after being idle for a while. If I get by that danger zone, I can work on the computer all day long with no problems until I leave it and come back.

Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information or have any solutions I can try, please let me know. I am just going to be a pain in the backside though and ask that the instructions be as detailed as possible. I am no expert by any means and if you say, "Check log X", I am likely to not know where or what log x is. I have done basic tasks like swap out hard drives but am trying to learn more about these things. :)

Thanks again,

Jeff

Shlouski

VIP Member
Let me get this right, sometimes when you turn the computer on you get 4 beeps and the computer is unable to start booting windows, you just get a blank screen and nothing happens?

TarlsQtr

The computer freezes first, and then when I hard reboot I get the four beeps and blank screen. (The fan runs after the beeps but nothing else happens).

After the cycle with the four beeps, I then turn the computer off again, back on, and it will then usually reboot and run normally.

Darren

Staff member
Reset your CMOS by pulling out the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's a small circular battery on the motherboard like you'd see in a watch. Make sure the PC is unplugged when you do this, and leave the battery out for at least 5-10 minutes. Press the power button a few times while it's out to discharge any extra juice in the system. This will completely wipe and reset your BIOS settings. The 4 beeps indicate, I think, a power issue. The idle issue also lines up with that. Windows 10 can be a bit overly aggressive with power saving so it makes sense it does it with Windows 10 only.

Assuming you're doing the upgrade through W7, do a clean install after you get the upgrade finished. You can accomplish this with the built in "Reset my PC", found by searching with Cortana, or by installing it with a fresh ISO file. Reset is easier IMO, just make sure you tell it to delete everything. Might be a good idea to disable any power saving settings you can too once your install is clean. Also give it time to install all the updates before doing much with it.

TarlsQtr

Reset your CMOS by pulling out the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It's a small circular battery on the motherboard like you'd see in a watch. Make sure the PC is unplugged when you do this, and leave the battery out for at least 5-10 minutes. Press the power button a few times while it's out to discharge any extra juice in the system. This will completely wipe and reset your BIOS settings. The 4 beeps indicate, I think, a power issue. The idle issue also lines up with that. Windows 10 can be a bit overly aggressive with power saving so it makes sense it does it with Windows 10 only.

Assuming you're doing the upgrade through W7, do a clean install after you get the upgrade finished. You can accomplish this with the built in "Reset my PC", found by searching with Cortana, or by installing it with a fresh ISO file. Reset is easier IMO, just make sure you tell it to delete everything. Might be a good idea to disable any power saving settings you can too once your install is clean. Also give it time to install all the updates before doing much with it.

Thank you so much. I will give this a try.