Freshening up Dell Dimension E510?

jmy2469

I am looking to freshen up my Dimension E510. This was purchased 4 years ago. I just use this for internet,music,no gaming. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium right now, want to upgrade that to Windows 7. Don't have the cash for a new rig right now,so I thought I would go this route. Just copied my system configuration from Dell's Website, I have not changed anything since I got this.
Quantity Parts # Part Description

0 149DF INFO,PREP MTL,DEV,PWS,INCRS,#2
1 DJ331 Keyboard,104,Universal Serial Bus,United States,Entry Liteon,Black
2 F6761 Dual In-Line Memory Module,512533M,64X64,8,240,1RX8
1 CD940 Kit,Software,Wordperfect,12 PLUS-TRIAL
1 KH285 Card,Graphics,X300,Server Enhanced,MRMGA9LF
0 4X388 Instruction,Preparation- Material,Deviation,Dimension Increase,Number
1 NJ880 Processor,805,2.66,2MB,PentiumD Smithfield For Desktops,B0
1 D9934 Assembly,Compact Disk Read Write/Digital Video Disk DriveCombo,48X,Half Height,HLDS,05
1 YH958 Mouse,Universal Serial Bus 2BTN,Lead Free,Entry,Logitech Black
1 DC334 Hard Drive,80G,S2,7.2K,8M Lead Free,SGT-TNKA
1 CJ281 DIS,FPL,19,E196FPB,MG,DAO,FPIB
1 FC820 Assembly,Heatsink,Shroud Mainstream,MSMT
0 83535 INFO,PART,ATAPI,DEVICE
0 01323 INFO,NO ITEM
1 X9535 TSH,RMV,CDSK,MRI,ENG

What should I take a look at upgrading? Thanks for the help. John

joh06937

what are you looking to do with the new one? what is your budget? do you have (or are looking to get) the 32 bit version of your os or the 64 bit? so far just looking at the specs i would recommend (pending what you want to do with it) upgrading the ram for sure. if you want to game i would get a new psu and gpu. your processor looks ok if you don't really want to game but if you do i would recommend upgrading that. this all really depends on that budget though.

Last edited:

jmy2469

Was just on Dell's website. They recomennded that I upgrade the memory. 4 x 1GB at $35 a pop, I would like to get into some gaming on pc. What would be a good processor to upgrade to? Did not get Windows 7 yet. Any advantages to going with the 64 bit version? I am runing the 32 bit version of Vista right now.

Last edited:

joh06937

64 bit will allow you to run the full 4 gb (if you go with that) of ram. don't go with 4 1gb sticks, get 2 2gb sticks. you should definitely upgrade that gpu to something a little better if you plan on gaming. are you hoping to do light or heavy gaming? don't worry about compatibility since your motherboard has a 16x pci-e slot which will host any gpu on the market now. what is the budget you will be on? i don't know very much about intel cpus so i will leave that to the eggsperts :p

jmy2469

I have $1500 on me right now. Thanks for telling me about going 2 x 2gb for the memory,should I just stick with the Dell branded memory?

joh06937

I have $1500 on me right now. Thanks for telling me about going 2 x 2gb for the memory,should I just stick with the Dell branded memory?

wow, for that i would just restart and build a new computer, but only if you want to do more than browse the internet and view pictures (just me though). i would highly recommend a new custom build if you want to game.

Last edited:

joh06937

it is a great way to learn about computers. plus then you get to have whatever you want in there :)

jmy2469

Replaced hard drive on last computer,power supply also. I worked for a company for 18 years. Its going out of business.I'll be out of a job in July. I was planning on going to school for computer networking and security. I will try this. For the $1500 that I have right now,what would be a good place to start?