fried my drive?

loserpunkx182

i think i did somethin stupid...dotn ask me why but i had to unplug the power supply to my HD yesterday as the computer was booting..and then i plugged it back in while the computer was still on and it sparked and shut off...i quickly turned it off and plugged in the power source again to the HD and computer booted up fine...but ,it might be in my head, i think it's running slower...could i of fried something on the drive and still have it work?...is somethin fried?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
so why'd you have to unplug the harddrive? :p

unplugging it while it's on can't be that bad, compare it to a power outage, you might have a few new bad sectors. plugging it back in, to me seems like it would be like turning the power on, but if someone knows for sure feel free to correct me :D

you said it still works, so try running a full scan disk on it (the 1 billion hour long scan not the filesystem scan)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i think I did somethin stupid...dotn ask me why but I had to unplug the power supply to my HD yesterday as the computer was booting..and then I plugged it back in while the computer was still on and it sparked and shut off
Unless you had a gun pointed at you ... there are very few reasons you'd "have to" do that.

unplugging it while it's on can't be that bad, compare it to a power outage, you might have a few new bad sectors. plugging it back in, to me seems like it would be like turning the power on, but if someone knows for sure feel free to correct me
Quite correct but thats only considering the mechanics (platters and stuff); the circuitry might not be so sensitive to that. You do make a valid point however :)

i think it's running slower
Its in your head. ;)