Frustrating PSU failures

rufnkz

I will agree if it was a component failure from the start but try running the PSU at 80-90 volts and see what happens? A freezer or refridgerator on the same line constantly starting could reduce the voltage enough so that in a short time the PSU fails.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
the only thing i could see something like a fridge doing is make it cut out due to not enough voltage. however, it might seem unlikely but i think there is a possibility of resonance which causes voltage amplification.
either that or there's something drawing too much current inside the pc that means the psu burnts out (which is more likely :) ).

rufnkz

Maybe his air conditioner is on same the circuit and is causing his problem. Either way I would assemble and take it over somebodys house and let them run it like he said. If he only was getting 1-7 days then keep it there two weeks and see.That many PSU's is not worth the hassle. 15 years of computer repair and I have never seen this before. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Scrat

Could you post i high quality pic of the Mobo? i might then be able to point out some components to test... no promises

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking into getting the OCZ PowerStream you recommended once the issue is resolved or at least figured out. What sort of devices would you recommend as far as preventing the power supply from exploding again? Some sort of power related hardware I mean. I have already invested about 100 bucks on a really good surge supressor. What else is available for issues like this?
Generally a UPS is a good idea although id avoid UPS that look like powerbars and get ones that look like boxes as they are a class above the powerbar type :)

Its definitely a possibility. The apartment I ive in isn't exactly the Ritz. It was built in the 60s. Which was the purpose of purchasing all the power hardware.
Grab a DMM and have a look (if you know what yer doing) as to what the voltages are. Also, is the PSU [potentially] overheating?

No more than 70° F. In the summer the temps climb above 100° F here. AC runs non-stop. The average temp is usually 65°-70° in the apartment.
Computer isnt sharing same AC line as the AC is it?

A drop in voltage increases amperage through the power supply frying components in the process.
Assuming power is conserved you'd be right however ATX specifications require overcurrent protection as well as stuff to deal with over and under voltage

try running the PSU at 80-90 volts and see what happens?
In theory crap all since the PSU will have undervoltage/overcurrent protection kick in.

DaveC

jancz3rt said:
I had a read through this as well. I have never come across this problem before. Could it be a sudden power surge of some sort? Is your notebook connected constantly to the plug? I doubt that. Anyway, I would first check out all the electric connections and try (if possible) to use the same plug as you use for the notebook? Just a though.

JAN :D

The notebook also runs 24/7 for the most part and just to be as technical as possible, they sit side by side on the desk and are plugged into the same surge protector.

DaveC

rufnkz said:
I would suggest getting a UPS and connecting through it. (UPS is uninteruptible power supply.) These have a battery in them for when power drops below a certain voltage then the battery kicks in to drive the computer until the voltage is back up again. It sounds more like you are expierencing a small scale brownout where the voltage dips below 100 volts causing more current to be pulled. This occurs very frequently if a freezer or refrigerator is on the same line. A surge protector will not stop this from happening. If the voltage does drop the UPS will beep telling you it is being powered by the battery. Good luck!

On the same line as how? I live in a small apartment and the only appliances that might have an effect are the AC, the fridge, and the dishwasher (all of which are on the opposite sides of the apartment).

DaveC

rufnkz said:
Maybe his air conditioner is on same the circuit and is causing his problem. Either way I would assemble and take it over somebodys house and let them run it like he said. If he only was getting 1-7 days then keep it there two weeks and see.That many PSU's is not worth the hassle. 15 years of computer repair and I have never seen this before. Good luck and let us know what happens.

How exactly do you test this? I'm willing to look into anything. But like I said.. I have been having this problem even during the spring when neither the AC nor the heater were on. Wouldn't that kind of rule it out? ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
On the same line as how? I live in a small apartment and the only appliances that might have an effect are the AC, the fridge, and the dishwasher (all of which are on the opposite sides of the apartment).
Being on the opposite sides of the apartment then that possibility should be ruled out

How exactly do you test this? I'm willing to look into anything. But like I said.. I have been having this problem even during the spring when neither the AC nor the heater were on. Wouldn't that kind of rule it out?
Yeah that would be kinda ruled out

Something you may want to try is to build yer system (say on the table so its easily accessible) and test the voltages (using say a DMM) every day maybe we can narrow down a rail or something thats failing you (if you cant do this, keep a log of the voltages say every hour)