frustration

jhanson132001

so i got a few windows disks i burned and im trying to boot a old hdd (this one here) on a new system . i have a usb dvd burner and i changed the boot order to 1. usb cd drive 2. hdd. 3 nothing

windows fail
do i need to do something when i burn a disk to make it bootable? would it be easier to try loading my windows onto a flash drive and boot that way??

do i need to format this hard drive before trying to use it on new system
??
thanks all
im really starting to think i should try linux based system at least i would be sure the disk would work
:)

Dngrsone

VIP Member
The download you got, is it an .iso file? Did you use the 'burn and image to CD' option, or did you just move the .iso file to the disc?

You need to burn the image to CD. Also, you might look at the md5 hash and make sure your download was successful.

The 'windows fail' message tells me that your CD is not booting and the hard drive is trying to boot its Windows installation but failing, most likely due to the change of hardware. You won't necessarily have to format the drive, but I would recommend stripping out any data you might want to retain and then formatting it anyway-- you'd get better mileage out of it that way.