ftp access

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Is it possible that my ISP is blocking ftp access to my computer?
It worked some time ago, then suddenly port 21 couldn’t be reached. I changed it to other value and the computer could be accessed for some time. Then no matter what number I put there, others cannot connect to my ftp. Now even the http connection won’t work...
I already verified that this problem is not related to my firewall, nor to the IIS settings (tried BulletProof ftp too).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes some ISPs do that (something to do with not wanting people to kill the upload traffifc). Try port 22 (default port for secureFTP) and if that doesnt work than you can pretty much say FTP is a "no no" by ur ISP.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Aha, so the answer is "no no"... :mad:
Well, lucky me, I have two ftp servers at the office. But it would be great to have one at home too...

[tab]

[...]
My ISP has a site that allows us to unblock ports so that we can run servers... they're blocked by default.

Maybe you could ask your ISP what's going on...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
My ISP is a p.o.s. They have the crappiest technical support. But they are the only cable operators in my vicinity. And I definitively won't go back to dial-up.
Unfortunately wireless access is too expensive for me, and two-way sattelite connection prices is way too high, so I stick with this lousy cable for a while... :mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL you have so many options.... i'm stuck with 4Mbit DSL (which im banned from for life so its a moot point) and 5Mbit Cable (for which, if i get another "excessive transfer", i'm banned for life). After that it's dialup :p We have freewireless but its not so stable