FTP over internet browser not working (HELP PLEASE)

otakubakaa

Hey everyone, I have fileZilla server running on my home PC and I tried to access it at home first. I port forwarded 20-21 for FTP and 5000-5001. I used chrome to ftp (FTP://mylocalip) and it prompts me to login, after i do so it works perfectly. Now I do the same thing again but this time i login using my external ip address. When i enter into my browser FTP://myexternalIP the prompt pops up telling me to login, I do so and it just comes back up again, most likely due to incorrect login however I know for a fact that the login is correct since I was able to login using my internal ip. So it seems something is going on and I really help on figuring out what is causing this. Also when i attempt to use another network besides mine to FTP to my external ip it doesnt even work, the prompt doesnt even come up, so im not sure what is going on, in Filezilla i have already set up the passive settings and typed in my external ip instead of using defaults with my chosen ports of 5000-5001 as well.

I have my windows firewall disabled so I can rule out that as well.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as to how i can solve this problem. Thank You

Last edited:

NyxCharon

When you're on your internal network, you should only access it from your internal IP.
Externally, only use your external IP. Testing your external IP internally makes no sense.

The fact you can't access it from an external network makes me think a) you don't have the ports forwarded correct or b) it's set only to listen on localhost, which will never work externally.

otakubakaa

When you're on your internal network, you should only access it from your internal IP.
Externally, only use your external IP. Testing your external IP internally makes no sense.

The fact you can't access it from an external network makes me think a) you don't have the ports forwarded correct or b) it's set only to listen on localhost, which will never work externally.

I remote desktop'd to my work PC and tried to FTP to my home's external IP, so its not that im testing my external ip internally

NyxCharon

I remote desktop'd to my work PC and tried to FTP to my home's external IP, so its not that im testing my external ip internally
If you're not doing that, fine. It's just that this line:

Now I do the same thing again but this time i login using my external ip address.
Made it sound like you did.

And this:
Also when i attempt to use another network besides mine to FTP to my external ip it doesnt even work, the prompt doesnt even come up,

Is why I said it is probably only set to listen for request on your localhost (not externally).
Are there any kind of access logs? Because If those external request aren't there, that would verify it's not excepting external request.

otakubakaa

And this:

Is why I said it is probably only set to listen for request on your localhost (not externally).
Are there any kind of access logs? Because If those external request aren't there, that would verify it's not excepting external request.

hmm no there are no logs, all I have is the FileZilla server interface where it displays information for connections, but it doesnt show information when I am trying to log in using my external ip

otakubakaa

And this:

The only logging I have is from the Filezilla server interface. If it is permitted in the forums and you are okay with it, would you be able to teamviewer into my pc to check it out for me?