FTP server

The Astroman

I just purchased an Iomega StorCenter Network Hard Drive 320 gb and am trying to access its files thru the internet (when I'm not at home) using an FTP server I set up on it. So I created a DynDns account and created a hostname and all, but when I access that hostname, I just access the modem, which is set up on 192.168.1.1. My FTP server is set up on 192.168.1.4.

1) I have no stand-alone router, just a switch, access point, modem and my NAS. Is the modem a router?
2) I tried searching in the modems options, but I couldn't find anything on mapping ports and such.

If I understood this right, I have to map port 21 (FTP) to IP address 192.168.1.4? How do I do that?

EDIT: BTW, my modem is a Prestige P650-ME by ZyXEL, but I couldn't find it on their website (no manuals I can look at). I did a google and most of the results were ROUTER Prestige P650-ME so I think it might be a router too.

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Try this...
ftp://username:password@WAN_IP_ADDRESS:21

you need to put your wan Ip address in the portion above, and switch from port 21 if not using it.
Or you can use the domain you assigned from DYNDns.com

How do you connect to the internet? Do you click logon from your computer, or does some hardware outside your computer do it? Usually a router does this.

Edit: Just make sure when you visit the hostname you use and FTP not an HTTP

Last edited:

The Astroman

EDIT: I found the port forwarding section on my modem. I put START PORT 21 and END PORT 21 @ 192.168.1.4 but it doens't seem to be working (I get a password / user prompt when accessing the hostname on DynDns, and it just loads indefinitely after that)

zyxelrw7.jpg

Archangel

VIP Member
When you have it up and running,.. I'd like to make a suggestion fro the program you use to acces the ftp server.
I use Filezilla for that,. and it works much better than IE for ftp accessing.

The Astroman

Did you set a username and PW for the FTP server? Atleast you know it is making a connection, you are just being turned away due to other reasons.

Try using the ftp://username:[email protected]
Or whatever your domain/hostname is. In the Username you usually dont use an [email protected].

Well actually, there's 2 things:

Username + password FOR USERS

iomega1hw7.jpg

password FOR ACCESSING NAS (no user)

iomega2ld8.jpg

For better helping, let's assume my user is LAURENT and my password is CFCOM (user settings, as seen in first pic)... And my DynDns is cfcom.mine.nu

So, I tried ftp://laurent:[email protected]

But it just said Beginning FTP transaction forever.

Is your firewall set to allow access through port 21? If it isn't then it wont work.

But the transaction doesn't go through my PC (thus my firewall), it just goes INTERNET -> MODEM -> SWITCH -> NAS

And I have no hardware firewall.

Last edited:

calumn

I use filezilla.
It is very good compared to most other things inculding ie and firefox plugins. I like it.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Instead of using the forward have you just tried using the wan address? It might be a slow forward from the DYNDNS.com

The Astroman

I think this might be obvious, but to rule out any misunderstanding, I have a Dynamic IP address, which is why I use DynDNS. And using this dynamic WAN did not work either.

Oh, it also keeps changing the workgroup from MSHOME (our workgroup) to WORKGROUP... Maybe that's why it doesnt always work on the LAN...

Also, and this IS IMPORTANT, if I set USERS with usernames and passwords, I can't access the drive through the My Computer window...

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
OK i just had a few thoughts...

Does the External HD plug into your NETWORK? Or does it plug into your PC?

If it plugs into your network, and runs without your PC, then it would require a local FTP program on the drive itself... Meaning you map to the 1.4

BUT if it hooks up to your computer or hooks up to you network yet has no FTP program installed locally.. then you need to run the FTP program through you computer and link to the network drive. AND forward the port 21 to your PCS local IP address...

Do you understand?
If not answer these questions...

Did you plug it into your PC or Switch? (which one)

Where do you have the FTP program installed? (computer or Network drive)

What is the local ip for your PC, and your drive (if applicable).

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
FTP is not secure, because it sends passwords in plain text across the network, meaning it makes it easy for people to gain access to your FTP site. I would look into setting up a secure FTP (or FTP over ssh) for security reasons. That would encrypt any data sent across the internet to your FTP site.

The Astroman

OK, the disk is directly plugged into the the network, indirectly to my PC. I think it has FTP software pre-installed on it, since I can choose to activate FTP in it's config menu. I didn't install any FTP program, be it on my computer or the disk itself.

By the way, I can access it via FTP when accessing ftp://192.168.1.4, so that probably means it has FTP software installed, am I right?

iomegaoverviewrc1.jpg

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
Try changin your worgroup to workgroup (just cause that what it wants), and then try getting a connection from home.

Apocalypse

You are using the wrong IP address 192.168.1.1 is your local IP. Go to www.whatismyipaddress.com you will find your proper/externel IP there. Disable all proxy's as well. All adresses with 192.168.1 etc are local. It works when you type ftp://192.168.1.4 because it is accessing your local network. You have to forward port 21 for your Drive as well

Last edited: