Funny looking PCI Slot

Mattu

Has anybody ever seen this extended PCI slot before or know what's it's used for? It's off of an IBM NetVista Pentium III mobo (sorry can't find model number). It's the slot below the brown AGP Slot:
IMG_0044.jpg

Thanks,
Mattu

Greg J.

VIP Member
That is a 66 Mhz-64-bit PCI slot versus the original 33 Mhz-32-bit. It is backwards compatible for regular PCI cards. The computer industry planned to implement faster cards for future use through this slot, but eventually, the much better PCI Express slot was widely implemented (as you can see today).
http://www.compute-aid.com/64bitpci.html

Quote:

"A 64-bit PCI bus provides higher overall throughput for high-performance adapters and better system efficiency by providing the same data in fewer PCI clock cycles. A 66-MHz PCI bus doubles the data throughput over the same amount of time. The benefits of both 64-bit and 66-MHz PCI implementations are better PCI bus utilization, better overall PCI bus efficiency, and a substantial increase in PCI bus performance.

Intel conducted a test in 1999 for the Gigabit ethernet. Their test result shows the full Gigabit bandwidth can only be achieved by implementing the 66MHz 64bit PCI bus, as well as use CPU and memory that fast enough not causing bottleneck effect. We have conducted the test in Compute Aid, Inc.'s lab for the Intel Gigabit ethernet card and switch (based on chips made by HP), they work flawlessly."

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
It looks like an early AGP/PCI-Express 1x side by side setup there with the AGP slot being the dark colored slot separate from the pci bus. Older pci video cards also use similar slots.

mega10169

So is that a different version of the 64-bit PCI slot? Because I always thought these were 64 bit PCI slots.
pci64_3.jpg

Last edited:

Burgerbob

Has anybody ever seen this extended PCI slot before or know what's it's used for? It's off of an IBM NetVista Pentium III mobo (sorry can't find model number). It's the slot below the brown AGP Slot:
IMG_0044.jpg

Thanks,
Mattu

That looks kinda like a PCI-X to me, just an extended PCI slot.

Archangel

VIP Member
why does that board have those pins on the bottom of those pic's?
IMG_0044.jpg

i mean... it cant be ment to put it onto another board like a PCI card,.. can it?

Mattu

why does that board have those pins on the bottom of those pic's?
i mean... it cant be ment to put it onto another board like a PCI card,.. can it?
I think thoes pins are for a daughter board to connect for more expansioin slots.
Oh and thanks for the replies everyone;)

Saurian

I think thoes pins are for a daughter board to connect for more expansioin slots.
Oh and thanks for the replies everyone;)

Or they also used to leave pinouts like that on the ned for hooking up diagnostic tools as well.

JuggaloKillaz

strange but cool. ive never seen them before lol. they almost look like a PCI express lol. never seen one. they must be pretty good.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The connection at the bottom of the motherboard is for a daughterboard like someone already posted. These riser boards offered more PCI slots usually or allowed to connecto to another proprietary device.