G80 or R600?

• nVidia's G80

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • ATI's R600

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters

maroon1

[-0MEGA-];468226 said:
I've heard that the G80 won't be the first true DX10 card, but it will be capable of DX10, since the new G80 most likely won't have a unified shader architecture, however ATI's cards will.
From where did you hear that ?
And what do you mean by true DX10, and untrue DX10 ?

And who told you that G80 will not have unified shader ?

The 8800GTX will have 128 shader units, and 8800GTS will have 96 shader units.

Geoff

VIP Member
From where did you hear that ?
And what do you mean by true DX10, and untrue DX10 ?

It was from a few online tech website (not the inquirer, haha).

Video cards only have to qualify for a certain number of things to be DirectX # compliant. For example, ATI's X series videos cards didn't support SM3, however they supported enough other technologies to be considered a DX9.0 card. The same goes for DX10.

And theres a difference between a unified shader architecture and having shader units.

Saurian

ATI persued the DirectX 9.0b designation, while nVidia went ahead and shot for DirectX 9.0c, which hopefully will be the last of XP updates, and hopefully they truly don't go mixing DirectX 10 with XP at all, but I could see themn doing that a little bit.

Geoff

VIP Member
hopefully they truly don't go mixing DirectX 10 with XP at all, but I could see themn doing that a little bit.

DX10 isn't at all compatible with XP, so you don't have to worry about them releasing any form of DX10 for XP.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member

A unified shader means the pipeline can be programed to do pixel or vertex shading.

Where did you read that the G80 wont have unified shaders? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I've read it could go both ways. I'm thinking they wont be unified but I don't know for sure.

Geoff

VIP Member
Where did you read that the G80 wont have unified shaders? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I've read it could go both ways. I'm thinking they wont be unified but I don't know for sure.

I believe I read it from ExtremeTech, but I googled it again and I found some sites saying it will, and others saying it won't.

I as well don't believe it will be, but we'll have to wait longer to find out for sure.

maroon1

[-0MEGA-];468286 said:
Video cards only have to qualify for a certain number of things to be DirectX # compliant. For example, ATI's X series videos cards didn't support SM3, however they supported enough other technologies to be considered a DX9.0 card. .

ATI's X series is considered as DX9.0b because it support SM2.0b, however it is not considered as DX9.0c.
The nvidia geforce 8 series will be DX10 card because they will support shader model 4.0
There is noting called "true dx10" or "untrue dx10". DX10 card mean that the card support SM4.0 and vice versa.

DirectX 8.0 = Shader Model 1.1,1.2 or 1.3
DirectX 8.1 = Shader Model 1.4
DirectX 9.0 = Shader Model 2.0
DirectX 9.0b = Shader Model 2.0a or 2.0b
DirectX 9.0c = Shader Model 3.0
DirectX 10 = Shader Model 4.0

So, if G80 support Shader Model 4.0, this means that it is 100% dx10

And theres a difference between a unified shader architecture and having shader units.
The G80 will have a unified shader units, the shader units are are capable of both vertex and pixel shading operations.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4441
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,4746.html

maroon1

[-0MEGA-];468421 said:
I believe I read it from ExtremeTech, but I googled it again and I found some sites saying it will, and others saying it won't.

I as well don't believe it will be, but we'll have to wait longer to find out for sure.

Maybe the news that you read from ExtremeTech is old.

The news from DailyTech which says that G80 will support unified shader was on 20 october.

fade2green514

well... i think the R600 chip will be faster, but NVidia will probably throw two in a single card like with a 7950gx2... but i like ATI better because of the technologies it supports... im sure each will have its strong points, but for the type of stuff i "compute" probably the R600

maroon1

well... i think the R600 chip will be faster, but NVidia will probably throw two in a single card like with a 7950gx2... but i like ATI better because of the technologies it supports... im sure each will have its strong points, but for the type of stuff i "compute" probably the R600

I think R600 will be faster too because it will be ATI answer to G80.

But you should compare G80 with the current ATI cards, because R600 will be released too late. ATI will not have any card that will compete with G80 for 2, 3 or maybe 4 months. And at time ATI releases their R600 , nvidia might release new card, G81 or geforce 8900

When geforce 7800 was released, ATI didn't release any answer to them until 7 months. And when X1800 was released, people were disappointed because they waited for months and ATI released a video card that just has 16 pipes, and it didn't perform as good as they thought.

Last edited:

fade2green514

So what ? :confused:

By the way in wikipedia it says that R600 will just have 64 unified shader

this thread is for comparing the two... those are informational links... and the Direct X10 architecture absolutely will be different, adding a different kind of processor rumored as the "geometry shader"