Galaxy S8+ vs S9

Darren

Staff member
Looking at getting one of these 2 phones here in the next month or two. S9 is $26 a month while the S8+ is $25. The S9+ is out of my price range at $30 and not really worth the jump IMO.

Any personal experience with these phones? (@porterjw) I'm leaning toward the S8+, mainly just for battery life but also the bigger screen and slightly lower price. The only notable difference between them is really the camera aperture being adjustable on the 9's, which I would like but not sure it's worthwhile. Haven't had a Samsung phone since my S3, had LG the past 2 times around. Really liked LG's design and philosophy but their build quality has put me off them entirely with the whole G4 fiasco. How's their software/OS these days? My G4 has only gotten a handful of security patches and running the same OS since I got it so anything is better I guess.

Don't really have any other options for going monthly through AT&T unfortunately. Lol iPhone.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Looking at getting one of these 2 phones here in the next month or two. S9 is $26 a month while the S8+ is $25. The S9+ is out of my price range at $30 and not really worth the jump IMO.

Any personal experience with these phones? (@porterjw) I'm leaning toward the S8+, mainly just for battery life but also the bigger screen and slightly lower price. The only notable difference between them is really the camera aperture being adjustable on the 9's, which I would like but not sure it's worthwhile. Haven't had a Samsung phone since my S3, had LG the past 2 times around. Really liked LG's design and philosophy but their build quality has put me off them entirely with the whole G4 fiasco. How's their software/OS these days? My G4 has only gotten a handful of security patches and running the same OS since I got it so anything is better I guess.

Don't really have any other options for going monthly through AT&T unfortunately. Lol iPhone.

@johnb35 for the 8+, I know he has one.

Im coming from an S7 and before that was the 4, and 2. This is my first Edge/+ model. It took all of 5 minutes to never want to go back to a 'standard' size screen again. Not sure about exact size comparisons between the 9 and 8+, but the deciding factor for you would come down to larger screen vs newer hardware and software. If in doubt, probably go with the 8+, as I'm sure John will agree about how much nicer having that extra screen is.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I love my S8+. I just got the upgrade to Oreo yesterday. I can get 2 whole days out of the battery.

Darren

Staff member
2 Days? Dang, that's more than I'm hearing is typical. I went from 100 percent to 37 percent from 8AM to noon today at work. Probably going S8+ then, the hardware is overkill for my uses really, mainly just want a better display, battery life, and newer OS. I use the camera some but probably wouldn't really mess with the aperture thing as is so the S9 isn't worth it.

How is Bixby and other Samsung specific software quirks?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use Bixby. I've had it since last June and no problems with it. I just don't care for the curved screen since the screen protectors don't adhere to it properly. I've gone through 2 since I had it, probably have to get a third one in the next month or so. If you get a case with a clear plastic cover then you won't need the screen protector. I use holsters.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I use the camera some but probably wouldn't really mess with the aperture thing as is so the S9 isn't worth it.

From what I've seen, the camera on the S9 is just like any others, only you can select if you want to or leave it on auto. Where Samsung supposedly really shines with camera-related stuff is from the dual ones on the 9+. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference comparing the 8+ to 9.

I don't use Bixby. I've had it since last June and no problems with it. I just don't care for the curved screen since the screen protectors don't adhere to it properly. I've gone through 2 since I had it, probably have to get a third one in the next month or so. If you get a case with a clear plastic cover then you won't need the screen protector. I use holsters.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Gl...85429&sr=8-1&keywords=whitestone+dome+s8+plus

Pricey yes, but it's an absolute perfect fit. It's basically impossible to have it go on crooked and the adhesive is 100% coverage. This company did a great job with this product.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I'll bury it in a case and see if I can get a good screen protector (but not for $45 :p )

I'm gonna steal the screen out of my friends dead G4 so I can turn mine in next month and grab the S8+. Hopefully they don't notice it's a Sprint screen. :cool: Recently cracked the replacement screen on my G4 about 3 weeks after I put it in. Figured it wasn't worth fixing again so just going to wait and toss in a used one for the trade in.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Pricey yes, but it's an absolute perfect fit. It's basically impossible to have it go on crooked and the adhesive is 100% coverage. This company did a great job with this product.
The review for that product is ~okay. Looks like there's still ways to screwing up the installation.

AnimeTech

Also thinking of getting a new phone.

How many hours of usage can you get out of these? Like @johnb35 how much do you use your phone for the 2 days ?

Also i dont know if you're all into photos... what are they like? I love the AI feature on the iPhone X, anyone have an iPhone X? Please tell me about battery life and camera

Hakerty

Also thinking of getting a new phone.

How many hours of usage can you get out of these? Like @johnb35 how much do you use your phone for the 2 days ?

Also i dont know if you're all into photos... what are they like? I love the AI feature on the iPhone X, anyone have an iPhone X? Please tell me about battery life and camera
One day you will be disappointed with iPhone X. i think the Samsung is better than iPhone X ,