game bottleneck

xxxalpinexxx80

i was playing gary's mod and made 400 players and from 60 fps it went down to 10 fps on my pentium d it would lag doing 20 players,, well when i used fraps to record it and pressed a button to make them attack each other it lagged like crazy and stoped responding, what fault would this be cpu,videocard, or ram it sounds like ram to me since it has to hold so much data per sec.. is it?

n3kro

I would say possibly a combination of RAM and video card.

Are those the specs for the computer you are using to play this game in your sig? 2GB of RAM is what I'm running in my PC and I have no trouble playing intense games, but I have never heard of the game you are playing so I don't know how memory intensive it is. Possible memory leak in the game?

Burgerbob

I would say HDD. It has to load stuff soo much for that kind of work. Do you have a HDD activity light on the front of your case? it will tell all. I find my HDD to be my main bottleneck.

lovely?

hd really has that much say in performance? jeez, maybe its time to upgrade my 5400RPM drives then

xxxalpinexxx80

ya it has to be it cause it was loading so fast i dont think its my video card to much but i would say it is the ram or hard drive cause my ram goes to %80 percent and im doing so much at once, its not my processor for sure

Burgerbob

The RAM can definitely keep up, especially if it is only at 80%. Its the slow HDD that has to keep up. That is why i hate HDDs.

nffc10

U said you pressed a button when Fraps was on right? Then the fps went down, you probably pressed the record button. That takes fps in games down to about 15 on my pc.

thealmightyone

It's the processor. I dare you to put 20+ ragdolls in a box with explosives at the bottom, and detonate it. Now, THAT puts a strain on the processor, albeit just for a few seconds.

murdock22

I just fixed the same problem with my computer, though the game was bf2 and bf 2142. it turned out to be my ram, if you know anyone who has 2gb of ram and will let you barrow it for 10 mins, and test it with that ram.

kof2000

i would say the gpu then the cpu because there's no way to tell right now whether your cpu is throttled at the time or not.

xxxalpinexxx80

i think it is my hard drive cause it wasnt running at 100% but could be i had like 400 npc and spawned them to attack then i quickly pressed f10, how does raid work does it make it go faster and does any one know if you can record longer then 30sec in fraps