Game resolution with 16:9 ratio on a 16:10 screen

Yoonsi

What happens when you run a game which only supports 16:9 resolutions on a 16:10 native monitor? Does it depend on the monitor? Can you have the black bars top and bottom or will the image just be skewed?

cheers!

zombine210

i got bars on my 16:10 monitor when i ran a game in 16:9. but it also changed the refresh rate to 75hz instead of 85hz that i was running, so it may depend on that too.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Yes, this will depend on the monitor and your graphics driver settings. Some, like Zombine210 mentioned, will just have black bars on the top and bottom. Some will stretch the image to fill the screen, distorting it to fill in that extra space.

In most video drivers, you can set whether your graphics card or your monitor handles resolution/aspect ratio scaling. How your monitor itself handles non-native aspect ratios is dependent upon the make/model.

Yoonsi

if a 16:10 monitor doesnt have 1:1 mapping is there some way to use my graphics card control panel to implement it? Or anything?

Zatharus

VIP Member
Yes, nVidia's control panel allows you to switch whether or not the monitor or the graphics card controls the aspect ratio.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Cheers for the reply mate. Do you know if the ATI control panel also allows for this?

Yes, as gamerman4 said, it will. You can usually choose which device you want to control the aspect ratio: your drivers/GPU or the monitor itself. Both vendor's drivers have that option.