game/system freezing problem

Beyond

specs: amd athlon xp 2200+ @1.8ghz, 512mb ram, audigy 2 zs, VT8366-8233 mainboard, xp home w/ SP2

problem: in most games (doom3, brothers in arms, guild wars [**the game i'm trying to get to work]) i'll be playing, everything running smoothly, and the entire game will freeze, but the sound will continue working, and in guild wars i can still move the mouse. away from games, even when i'll be doing something @ the desktop, the monitor will turn off, as if it were in sleep mode, and the power led button on the monitor will flash. if i had had a song playing in winamp, the song can usually still be heard. to get the computer to return to normal, i have to switch off from PSU switch on back. sometimes computer will immediately return to normal state, othertimes i'll have to wait a good while.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It shoulds like bad drivers or possibly a faulty video card... You failed to mention what your video card was. And that's not the motherboard. From the little I could find, it actually seems to be the chipset on a motherboard...

But yeah, try drivers first. DirectX too. If you still have problems, get us some more/correct info ;)

Beyond

bah .. my bad on the motherboard thing .. this is the first AMD-based pc that i've had, and i'm not familiar with all the names, models, etc. i have a ti4600.. but the motherboard .. after opening the case, running dxdiag, si sandra (or whatever you call it) .. i can't figure out what the name of the mobo is .... i've tried using diff graphics drivers from 3dguru, and i'm using dx9.0c

Last edited:

randruff

Sounds like your video card is trying to take the big sleep. Do you have another videocard you could swap and try running games on?

Beyond

i have a 9700 pro laying around, but the card is dead. i don't have the box, manual, anything..only the card. any chance of sending it back to ATI and getting a new one?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
If you have the recept for the card, you could give it a shot, but I doubt ATI would take it back...not for free at least :p. You might just have to get a new card. Have you tried drivers yet... I have a feeling it's hardware related, but better save yourself a few $100 ;P

Beyond

Yeah, it's a bad card. I put in my friend's 9800XT and not only did I find out mine was dead, but I also discovered that card looks really good.