Games taking forever to load in Win 10??

mistersprinkles

I'm pretty computer savvy. I have a fast PC with an SSD and everything used to be fast, but I've been having this problem where some games take forever to start up. It just sits there. Sometimes I can see the game open in task manager but nothing is on screen and I can't switch to it.

Is there a fix for this?

System:

Win 10 Home X64
GTX 1080 G1 gaming
16GB DDR3 2400
ASRock Z97 Anniversary mobo
EVGA GQ 650 PSU
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
2TB Seagate ST2000 HDD

mistersprinkles

Only games, and only certain games. Also a game can be launching fine and then suddenly one day it takes forever, and keeps taking forever to load.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are these games installed to the HDD or SSD? I would look at a failing hard drive.

mistersprinkles

HDD... That's a scary thought...

What should I use to check up on the drive other than CHKDSK and CrystalDisk Info? Thanks for your help.

mistersprinkles

I'm having trouble understanding the instructions for the DOS version of Seatools. I don't have any blank CDs but I do have some USB thumb drives. How do I run it? Would you mind terribly explaining it to me? Thanks.

AMD_man

If it´s too hard to do you could run a benchmark and compare it with other results. It´s not the same but it´s better than nothing.

mistersprinkles

Doesn't seem too hard. Instructions seem straightforward enough. I'll be running a Checkdisk overnight in Windows and seeing the results in the morning. Tomorrow night I will run the Seatools in DOS overnight.
You've been very helpful. I hope I do actually have a bad HDD (Even though it means I need to spend $$ on a replacement and go through some hassle) because at least I will have an answer to this problem.

mistersprinkles

I've got 200GB free on my 2TB drive. All game installs. My next upgrade is a storage overhaul with a 2TB SSD. Just thought I would have more time with this 2TB Seagate since I only bought it at the beginning of this year...

mistersprinkles

mostly on Steam, yes. Too many games to list... I have hundreds of games installed. First game it happened with was Doom (new one. Steam) and this started happening a few months ago.

mistersprinkles

A virus? Have you tried ruuning your antivirus, JRT, AdwCleaner, MBAM?

What is JRT? I will scan but I highly doubt it could be a virus. I only go on Facebook, youtube, netflix, and forums, and play games. On Facebook I never click any links. I'm very careful.
I will run avast boot time scan, ADWcleaner, mbam. What is JRT though?

AMD_man

What is JRT? I will scan but I highly doubt it could be a virus. I only go on Facebook, youtube, netflix, and forums, and play games. On Facebook I never click any links. I'm very careful.
I will run avast boot time scan, ADWcleaner, mbam. What is JRT though?

Junkware Removal Tool.