Games Won't Display Properly...Would Very Much Appreciate Your Help

Stereoeggs

Hello to everyone!
default_smile.png

I have my computer system connected by HDMI cable to my flat-screen TV.

Everything was working fine until my computer and TV/display abruptly crashed due to a momentary power outage (and failure of my UPS). (...Probably a battery needing replacement in the UPS...there were no lightning strikes.)

After rebooting my system, I received notice that my graphics card software had been reset to its default settings.

I know I did some tweaking of my graphics settings, but I do not remember all of the software settings I had prior to the unwanted reset to defaults.

The problem is, while I can use my graphics card scaling to reduce the size of my desktop to fill but not overshoot the size of my TV/display, my video games are displaying an image that is too large to fit the size of my TV/display...even though, as I've said, I was not having this problem until my graphics card software reset itself to its default settings.

I have researched online what to do, without finding a solution. I have tried various settings using the graphics card software, but nothing I have tried has worked.

Also, I cannot do a System Restore because I stupidly turned off System Restore and deleted restore points when I felt I was in desperate need to free up some additional RAM on my SSD C: drive.

Reducing screen resolution (which I have tried) is an unsatisfactory solution for several reasons, one of them being that doing so makes some critical game text appear too small to read...that is, for a reasonable amount of time without inducing eye fatigue.

I will be Very grateful to anyone who can tell me how I can once again get my video games to display full-screen, as was the case before the graphics card reset itself to default settings after the short power outage. There must be some way to do this.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.

Here’s a break-down of my system:

- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);
- Asus DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard P9X79-E WS;
- Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820;
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;
- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9;
- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb 2.5inch SSD;
- Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1;
- Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT480M500SSD1;
- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;
- Seasonic PRIME 850 Titanium (SSR-850TD Active PFC F3) power supply;
- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW;
- CyberPower 1285AVR, 1285VA/750W (UPS)
- Dynex DX-46L260A12 46-inch 1080p TV being used as the display/screen

Stereoeggs

Turn off overscan on your TV in the advanced settings.

600x636px-LL-51c029e2_dynexDX-40L260A12overscanunderscan.jpeg

Thanks for your time and effort to post this page from a Dynex TV manual. I wish this information was related to my particular Dynex model, but it is not. My TV's model number is DX-46L260A12, which is one number off from the second model number listed at the bottom of the page you posted. Unfortunately, the menu for adjusting the TV picture on my model does not include an Overscan on/off option. <sigh> Do you have any other suggestions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the manual? On page 18 it tells you how to adjust picture but tv has to be in vga mode. Not sure if this is correct since you are using hdmi. But kinda what you expect with Best Buy brand instead of name brand.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Thanks for your time and effort to post this page from a Dynex TV manual. I wish this information was related to my particular Dynex model, but it is not. My TV's model number is DX-46L260A12, which is one number off from the second model number listed at the bottom of the page you posted. Unfortunately, the menu for adjusting the TV picture on my model does not include an Overscan on/off option. <sigh> Do you have any other suggestions?
Ok. Have you tried cycling through the different aspect ratio options?

df9542d6f4.PNG

Stereoeggs

Do you have the manual? On page 18 it tells you how to adjust picture but tv has to be in vga mode. Not sure if this is correct since you are using hdmi. But kinda what you expect with Best Buy brand instead of name brand.

Thank you for your suggestion. As with another post above, I think your manual is for a similar TV but not the exact model that I have. Also, yes, I'm using HDMI.

As to the Best Buy brand, I understand that many of their products may not be of the best quality. However, with this particular TV, my understanding is that it was manufactured by Samsung and re-branded by Best Buy using their Dynex label. Whether or not Samsung actually manufactured the TV, it has been serving me well for many years; it has all the features I need; and I got it brand-new at a surprisingly low price. While it's often true that "you get what you pay for," I also know that one also often pays a hefty premium to buy a product that has a "high-price" brand name attached to it, even though it is no better than a similar product with a less expensive brand name on it.

Stereoeggs

My Display Problem Has Finally Been Resolved...In An Unusual Way <Smile>

I usually give thanks and credit to people for helpful advice or for a solution to a problem. In this particular case, while I very much appreciate the suggestions offered, I would like to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for leading me to the solution to my display problem...because it was after I had stopped looking for a solution that I believe my God "worked together" two "unwitting," "experimental" changes I made to my graphics card settings to effect a resolution to my months-old display problem(s), for which, as I've said, I was no longer looking.

I hope my giving my God credit for "fixing" my problem is not offensive to anyone. It is something that, in my heart, I feel is the right thing for me to do. (I give thanks to people when they help me; why shouldn't I give thanks to my God when He helps me?) I realize that some may call this (how my problem was fixed) an example of serendipity...or coincidence, but my spiritual beliefs lead me to believe otherwise.

So...the last thing I did do to try and fix my problem was to contact the maker of my graphics card (MSI), and a very nice fellow in their tech support department took my call and suggested that I uninstall my AMD drivers for my graphics card and replace the AMD drivers with the latest/last drivers made available by MSI. To be fair, I never tried this, so I don't know if taking his suggestion would have made any difference.

I "temporarily" gave up looking for a solution to my problem, which was my video games displaying an image that was too large to fit the size of my TV/display.

When I was (relatively recently) alerted by AMD that a new driver/package was available for my graphics card, I downloaded it through the AMD Crimson control panel (..."AMD Radeon settings" is stated in the upper-left corner of the control panel).

After downloading the new AMD driver/package, I noticed that my AMD control panel settings were in the default mode. So, I set out to re-customize the settings. In re-customizing my settings, there were only two changes I made to the settings that were different from the settings that I had used when I was experiencing the problems with my TV/display.

Here is the first change I made:

After re-customizing the settings in the main AMD control panel (this is titled "AMD Radeon Settings"), I opened up a new panel by right-clicking on my desktop and then clicking on "AMD Radeon Additional Settings." Near the upper-left corner of this new panel, there is a drop-down box with the title "My Digital Flat-Panels." After clicking on "My Digital Flat Panels," a short list drops down which includes an item called "pixel format."

Clicking on "pixel format" brings up a selection box with four choices (in my case) for setting the color pixel format. In the default mode, I believe my format was set to "YCbCr4:4:4 Pixel Format," but I'm not absolutely sure. I noticed that there was another choice available with the letters "PC" in the title. Simply for that reason, I decided to click on and use that format instead. The full title for the format I chose to use is "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)." After choosing this alternative pixel format, I clicked on "Apply" in the lower-right corner of the panel/screen.

Here is the second change I made:

Also on the short drop-down list (titled "My Digital Flat-Panels"...see above for how to get to this short drop-down list) is listed: "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)." After clicking on "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)," a panel/screen appears, where the last option listed is a check-box, followed by the words: "Enabled ITC processing." This check-box was not checked, as a default setting. Hovering my cursor over the words "Enabled ITC processing" caused this explanation to appear: "Ensures video quality through the display processor instead of the graphics driver for HDMI displays that are capable of ITC processing." Because my TV/monitor is connected to my graphics card by an HDMI cable, I decided to check the check-box, just to see what might happen. I then clicked on "Apply" in the lower-right corner of the panel/screen.

After making these two changes, here is what I discovered:

First, I no longer needed to reduce the size of my desktop by 5% (using "HDMI Scaling" in the main AMD control panel) in order for my desktop to fit within the display space of my TV/monitor.

Second, when I re-loaded a game I had been playing, I found (to my utter surprise) that the game image was no longer too large to be displayed on my TV/monitor. My months-long problem was solved! (I did not have to change the resolution of my game. I did not have to use MSI drivers. Etc.)

NOTE: I do not know which of the two changes I made corrected my display problem(s)...or if both changes needed to be made to correct the problem(s).

Although I don't understand how the changes I made to the graphics card settings resolved my problem(s), I'm hoping that this post might, somehow, help others who are experiencing the same kind of display problem(s).

In case this may be of help to someone, here are some current version numbers for the AMD Control Panel and drivers being used:

Radeon settings version 2017.0424.2119.36535
Driver packaging version 17.10.1731-170424a2-313748
C-CrimsonReLive

PS/ ...Just a quick response to suggestions that I scroll through aspect ratios and do other things with my TV controls: I did try the suggestions offered, where possible, but not all controls mentioned are available on my specific TV model; and where controls are available, changing them did not fix my problem.

Last edited: