Gamestop & disk replacement

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So I got a 360 less than a month ago, along with MW2. The guy that lives one room over hasn't had a working 360 in a while, so I lent him mine, along with MW2 to play for about a week. Well I got it back today and the disc had a giant circle on it, and it looks like it got scratched while in the console. I talked to the guy and he said he was just playing when it spazzed out. The disc is now unreadable.

Now, do you think I could bring the disc to gamestop and they would replace it for free? Any way I could get them to?

*EDIT*

I don't have a disc repair kit.

Whisper91

Try Blockbuster too, try and see if they can fix it because I had the same problem once. I took it into BB and they fixed it for $5.

Dropkickmurphys

If it's the circle I am thinking of, it usually happens when the 360 has a disc in it when it is moved (is it a perfect circle?)... I did it to my brothers Fifa '09...I had to go and buy him a new game. I don't think those sort of scratches are fixable.

Just try taking it into a few different stores.... or the one you bought it from with the receipt preferably.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
It's also something that happens to 360's even when they're not moved. I had that happen to some of my games when the console was just sitting there. One of the many reasons I got rid of the thing...

Twist86

Geezz...here is a thought why worry and make him buy you a new copy? He accepted the possibility of damage/paying for it when he borrowed it.

Rit

Well you could always go 'halfs' with him and buy a used one from Gamestop or E-bay since you don't know exactly that it's his fault. I could have happened while it was in your position. But like it got scratched to crap cause he didn't put it in the case or anything, then ya, I'd make him pay for it all and he can keep the disc :p

PohTayToez

I've had that happen before, but if you take it to anywhere that does disk repair they should be able to polish it out for one or two dollars. No retail game store is going to replace a disk that you damaged, however Microsoft does have a system by which if you mail in a damaged disk they'll send you a replacement.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Try Blockbuster too, try and see if they can fix it because I had the same problem once. I took it into BB and they fixed it for $5.

Too bad I didn't think to bring the disc home with me for spring break, cause IDK where the nearest BB is in Newark =/

Microsoft does have a system by which if you mail in a damaged disk they'll send you a replacement.

I checked on this and it seems they only do that if Microsoft is the publisher =/

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/...ames/discreplacement/DiscReplacementPlan.aspx

It's also something that happens to 360's even when they're not moved. I had that happen to some of my games when the console was just sitting there. One of the many reasons I got rid of the thing...

Ya think I should return/sell it and get a PS3 instead?

Last edited:

Motorcharge

Geezz...here is a thought why worry and make him buy you a new copy? He accepted the possibility of damage/paying for it when he borrowed it.

Obviously not the room mates fault if it's a common problem associated with moving the console with a disk in it. Why should his room mate pay for something thats not his fault?

Masterfulks

A good friend would replace it without question.

It worked when you gave it to him, so it should work when you get it back.

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it, but I wouldn't let him borrow anything else of mine.

Motorcharge

A good friend would replace it without question.

It worked when you gave it to him, so it should work when you get it back.

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it, but I wouldn't let him borrow anything else of mine.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't his fault. Especially considering it's a known issue moving the console with a disk in it. Comes down to who moved the console really.

E Money

All you have to do is barely move the 360 and you will get that huge ring. I have had it happen to me and have seen it happen to other people.

Although 360's do have a problem with eating games it is something that rarely occurs IMO.

Yea, there is a low chance that the 360 ate your game but I think the xbox may have been moved while the game was being played.

Is this a apartment or college?

Twist86

Obviously not the room mates fault if it's a common problem associated with moving the console with a disk in it. Why should his room mate pay for something thats not his fault?

You accept something from some and your accepting the risk/consequence if anything happens to it. Common issue when the console is MOVING which means he bumped it and it got scratched.
So it is his fault thus he should man up and take the consequence. So many people today lack that concept its astounding and sad.

88Jonsson

I would try to do what was suggested above and try to get it fixed. If it doesn't work have the guy pay for it. Of course he might not own up to it, but it's worth a shot.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Ya think I should return/sell it and get a PS3 instead?

Not trying to get OT and open up the whole PS3/360 debate here, but that's what I did. Part of it for me as well was that there were only 1 or 2 exclusive titles for the 360 that I wanted while there were at least 6 at the time now closer to 10 or 12 PS3 exclusives that I want/have. Plus, I knew a lot more people that have a PS3 and also the Blu-Ray movies are just plain awesome on it!!!

Hyper_Kagome

So I got a 360 less than a month ago, along with MW2. The guy that lives one room over hasn't had a working 360 in a while, so I lent him mine, along with MW2 to play for about a week. Well I got it back today and the disc had a giant circle on it, and it looks like it got scratched while in the console. I talked to the guy and he said he was just playing when it spazzed out. The disc is now unreadable.

Now, do you think I could bring the disc to gamestop and they would replace it for free? Any way I could get them to?

*EDIT*

I don't have a disc repair kit.

This issue is seen a lot at EB and Gamestop. That huge ring happens generally when the console is on and it's moved, and sometimes even when it's not on. One of the things we always recommend is that you keep the 360 laying horizontal and not standing up vertically. Reduces the chance of it being knocked over and creating that scratch in the game disc.

As for disc replacement via EB Games/Gamestop. As long as you purchased the game from them you have thirty days off the day of purchasing to bring the game back if you have any problems with it for a defective exchange. On new games you can extend that to a year for $3 and on used games it's extended for a year for $2. Then if you have issues with the game within that year of purchase as stated on the receipt, even if you damage it yourself, you can take it back with the receipt and get a defective exchange.
Other than that you're SOL and need to find a store that does the repairs.

Masterfulks

You accept something from some and your accepting the risk/consequence if anything happens to it. Common issue when the console is MOVING which means he bumped it and it got scratched.
So it is his fault thus he should man up and take the consequence. So many people today lack that concept its astounding and sad.

Yes. Everyone today seems to want to shift blame with such thing.

It's simple. If you borrow something you give it back in the same condition or you make amends.