Gaming Computer Build #1

jonnyp11

probably, i never thought it would be that big of a difference, then again, if only i could experience it :(

jonnyp11

just a cooler, on the lowish end is the cooler master hyper 212 plus, upper end is the antec kuhler h2o's and corsair hydros, those 2 are water-coolers.

Perkomate

johnny, i would suggest that you actually USE a processor, standard then overclocked, before making complete bullshit claims.
There are many hundreds of members that will make testament to the fact that overclocking seriously improves system performance, with me one of them.

Don't knock something you've never tried. Remember, we've used them, you haven't.

jonnyp11

johnny, i would suggest that you actually USE a processor, standard then overclocked, before making complete bullshit claims.
There are many hundreds of members that will make testament to the fact that overclocking seriously improves system performance, with me one of them.

Don't knock something you've never tried. Remember, we've used them, you haven't.

that's why i just decided to shut up and leave it alone, then you and strangle posted so i'm posting this.:eek:

jonnyp11

you go into the bios on the motherboard right when you hit the power, then you slowly up the multiplier each time booting and checking for stability with a program like prime95 also watching the temps to make sure they are low enough (under 70 max, sub 60 preferred), then going back and upping the multiplier and repeating.

conscript232

I'll definitely have to do some more research into it before giving it a shot :p

On an unrelated note, I noticed another thread asking what a good size for a SSD was if it was just storing an operating system and some often used programs? Is the 90GB I have going to cut it?

jonnyp11

90gb is more than enough, i think 32gb is the min for updates and all, the os itself takes less than that.

Spesh

Depending what cpu you have, you can also overclock by raising the bus speed. If you only use the multiplyer then you are just increasing the speed at which the cpu can process data. However, If you raise the bus speed, you not only increase the speed at which data is processed, you also increase the amount of data that can pass into the cpu. It has the effect of overclocking the whole system.

X58 was good because it gave overclockers the ability to play with the bus speed aswell as the multiplier. This does however usually result in a lot more trial and error, as it becomes a case of trying to finely balance the two.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'll definitely have to do some more research into it before giving it a shot :p

On an unrelated note, I noticed another thread asking what a good size for a SSD was if it was just storing an operating system and some often used programs? Is the 90GB I have going to cut it?

90 is fine. Really 64 and up will work fine. Really depends on how much software you want to install on the SSD

Perkomate

Depending what cpu you have, you can also overclock by raising the bus speed. If you only use the multiplyer then you are just increasing the speed at which the cpu can process data. However, If you raise the bus speed, you not only increase the speed at which data is processed, you also increase the amount of data that can pass into the cpu. It has the effect of overclocking the whole system.

X58 was good because it gave overclockers the ability to play with the bus speed aswell as the multiplier. This does however usually result in a lot more trial and error, as it becomes a case of trying to finely balance the two.

FSB overclocking is not possible on a 1155 (Sandy Bridge, second generation Core I3,I5 and I7) processor. The whole system becomes unstable, and you start to lose data from the hard drives/

-EDIT-
501 posts!!!1!!1!1one

Spesh

FSB overclocking is not possible on a 1155 (Sandy Bridge, second generation Core I3,I5 and I7) processor. The whole system becomes unstable, and you start to lose data from the hard drives/

-EDIT-
501 posts!!!1!!1!1one

I know, I have a 2600k. He was just asking about overclocking, so I was explaining.