Gaming computer.

deerman92

New Member
Hey guys, now that i am able to get a part time job i am looking to but a pretty good gaming computer. I have looked at some and have found one that i think will be pretty good with some slight mods.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677174&CatId=5140
This one i found is relatively cheap but has a quad core processor that if i OC to 2.7GHz i think would be more than i would need. Now for graphics cards i am looking for an Nvidia card and this is what i came up with.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4042983&CatId=1558
Now this card is only 35$. Why? and also if this thing sucks what can i get that will not put my budget over 500$. I would like to play most modern games on high. Maybe not Super high or whatever they call it but...i want damn good graphics.
Thanks Dustin
 
You can't overclock that computer.

The 9500 isn't going to play most modern games on high either...doesn't matter what brand it is.

If you're willing to use Linux instead of Windows, you can build a half-decent machine for $500. Nothing special though. If you need Windows you're going to have to settle for a rig with specs that were new in 2008, like that one. What say ye?
 
The reason the card is only $35 is because it pretty much sucks. And the EVGA is not worth $70. The 9500GT is worth maybe $50 brand new. And sorry buy that case on the computer you are looking at is ass-ugly :eek:

Would you consider building your own machine? The computer will be much better if you build it rather buy a pre-built.

If you buy the pre-built, then I recommend this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-824-_-Product its $100, bringing your total to $520...

Here is a 9600GT for $90. You can get them cheaper but then it will be off brand. I had zotac once and I like the card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500134&cm_re=9600gt-_-14-500-134-_-Product

With anything less than the 9600GT you are not going to get "damn good graphics" They will be good but not super. you COULD wait a couple weeks and then buy a 3850 for $60 shipped from me :D
 
FWIW, here's what you'd get if you built a system:

CPU- AMD Athlon II X3 435- $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724

Mobo- GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P- $88 ($78 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 4670- $77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102855

RAM- OCZ Obsidian 4GB(2x2)- $100 ($80 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

PSU- Antec NEO ECO 520W- $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

HDD- Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB- $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

DVD- LG DVD Burner- $28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

Case- AZZA Orion 201- $45 ($30 after rebate)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011748

Total- $528, $483 after rebates

If you're in college, you may be able to get win7 at a really low price, or even free, so check on that.
Otherwise, Linux + WINE.
 
FWIW, here's what you'd get if you built a system:

CPU- AMD Athlon II X3 435- $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724

Mobo- GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P- $88 ($78 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 4670- $77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102855

RAM- OCZ Obsidian 4GB(2x2)- $100 ($80 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

PSU- Antec NEO ECO 520W- $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

HDD- Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB- $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

DVD- LG DVD Burner- $28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

Case- AZZA Orion 201- $45 ($30 after rebate)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011748

Total- $528, $483 after rebates

If you're in college, you may be able to get win7 at a really low price, or even free, so check on that.
Otherwise, Linux + WINE.

this sounds great actually. Will i be able to play modern games on high, with this rig. I have never installed an OS but how do i get linux.
 
The 4670 is not a bad card, but it will not play "modern" games at highest settings. It should run older games alright though. (There is also the 5670 and some higher 4000 series cards which are a bit more powerful than the 4670, but cost a bit more.)

Linux is very good as a general operating system but most game companies don't make games for it. If you have never installed an OS before and know nothing about Linux, then I don't recommend using Linux if your primary concern is gaming. WINE (a windows compatibility layer) can be used to get some games to run in Linux, but some won't work right and some won't work at all. If you are willing to take the time to learn Linux and you consider it fun trying to make things work, then go for it; it's free after all.

I second Drenlin's suggestion; "If you're in college, you may be able to get win7 at a really low price [I think it might be $30], or even free"
 
Last edited:
I second Drenlin's suggestion; "If you're in college, you may be able to get win7 at a really low price [I think it might be $30], or even free"

Yep,

he'll need a .edu email address in order to get it. Just go to Microsoft website for The Details. I think 30 bucks is the end price too - but I don't have a .edu account so I can't peek inside.
 
For that list that drenlin formed up. What would be a good alternative HDD instead of that samsung one, because apparently new egg doesn't have the one that's listed. Anything between $50-$100 would be nice. At least 500gigs, and I wouldnt care for anything over 1T.
 
Strange that the first board specifically lists "Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3" while the second board lists "Phenom II / Athlon II."
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - $88 ($78 after rebate)
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H - $98

Also, if you don't plan on upgrading in the future, you could save a few dollars and get this CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W - $56 ($46 after rebate). (I think it would run that processor and the 4670 just fine.)


For alternate harddrives (just using Western Digital as an example, there are other good brands):
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache - $55.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache - $69.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache - $69.99
 
Last edited:
^ The Caviar black would be the best one to go for. Good drive.

I wouldn't downgrade the PSU though. That Antec is good, and the extra 120W is worth it. 500W is kind of the minimum for a gaming computer, as he'll probably want a better graphics card later on. Some GPU's can be pretty power hungry. The 4670 is a mid-range card and uses around 170W at full load. A better card will use much more. For example, A 4870 uses around 285 watts at full load, and a 4870x2 uses 430W.
 
Back
Top