Gaming computer

The Astroman

Guys, I would like you to give me your opinions on this PC and also a grade on 10 if possible. Thanks. You can also give suggestions on alternative pieces. It's a gaming comp, and it costs approx. 1.5K USD (remember, here in switzerland pieces are more expensive than in the US).

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Socket 939
RAM: OCZ Platinum Edition DDR PC-3200 EL 2 GB Dual Channel Kit
MoBo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ( nForce4 - Socket 939 )
GFX CARD: PINE XFX GeForce 7800GT VIVO PCIe ( 256DDR TV 2xDVI )
PSU: ANTEC 500W Smartpower supply P4 ATX 2.0 2x Fan SP500PEC
CASE: Boitier Tour AEROCOOL AeroEngine Jr Black/Silver ( 4 x 5.25 )
DVD: DVD ± RW 8.5GB SAMSUNG SH-W162C Retail Black

The HDD will be taken from his old comp

P.S The text in Bold is for me, because I'm buying the stuff in two shops and so I want to remember which piece I buy where. Bold is Prodimex, Non-Bold is 1000ordi.

P.P.S MSI's website doesn't seem to work, so I put a link to Newegg.

Last edited:

ghost

That seems like a nice setup but remember games at the min only support 1 core on a dual core cpu,
so if your running BF2 for example, it will run on one core at 2.0 GHZ !!!!
If you are gonna get the 3800+ that is...

you might be better off getting a single core cpu for that system

Also next year Unreal tournament 2007 will support dual core cpus !!!

Last edited:

ViperGTS19801

I give it an 8.5. It lacks some functionality for a $1,500 rig. My reccomendations: Add a DVD-+ RW, perhaps DL for the future. Also, for better read/write speed from the HD, look into the Western Digital Raptors. The dual core is great for every day computing but not so hot for the gaming aspect. I'd reccoment 2GB of RAM for the power of this machine.

the 4000+ will give you better performance today...but when games start supporting dual core, then the 3800 x2 will probably be the better performer

ghost

If i had a choice right NOW i would have the 4000+ !!!
and a but load of low latency RAM

ghost

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)
AMD's Athlon 64 is the latest evolution in the desktop computer industry. With its revolutionary 64bit architecture this CPU is fully compatible with future 64 bit operating systems and offers blistering performance in current 32 bit applications. With AMD's new HyperTransport technology and a massive 1MB L2 cache. San Diego core incorporates SSE3 technology into the Athlon 64 platform which increases performance levels.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939)
Frustrated by staring at the hourglass icon as soon as you try to work on more than three programs at once, especially when you’re working with digital media? Increase your performance by up to 80% with the AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual core processor. Work or play with multiple programs without any stalling or waiting. Dual-core technology is like having two processors, and two working together is better and faster than one working alone. Do more in less time with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor.

- Only AMD64 technology runs today’s 32-bit and tomorrow’s 64-bit software
- AMD’s Enhanced Virus Protection for Microsoft ® Windows ® XP SP2*
- Cool'n'Quiet™ technology for a quieter computer and lower power costs
- HyperTransport™ technology and an integrated DDR memory controller for maximum performance and system efficiency
- 2.0GHz operating speed
- 512Kb L2 cache

4000+ FOR GAMING
3800+ X2 FOR MULTITASKING

GO FOR THE 4000+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Astroman

OK... What about long-term thinking, say a couple of years... Which one would you choose for a maximum long-term capacity?

ViperGTS19801

The dual core, defenitely. You won't see less performance with it now, just wasted potential until someone develops the software needed to fulfill it.

Archangel

VIP Member
yes.. but by the time you'll need dual core. there are much better ones availiable ;)

and i give it a 7. its a bit to expensive for what you get.

ghost

Also if your thinking long term you may as well w8 till the AMD M2 Socket mobo`s are out !!!!

no point in waiting, there will always be something better around the corner !!

MatrixEVO

I don't think you need to get the dual core CPU yet, in a couple years you should upgrade, and the dual cores in a couple years will be way better then the X2 3800, so stick with the 4000. Just boost the RAM, but 2gb is plenty.

I'd give it an 8/10.
I think you should put 2 of the 80 gig hd's in raid 0 because 80gigs seems a bit small compared to the rest of the system.

The Astroman

Stop focusing on HDD... I have had 80 gigs and it lasted me 2 years be4 I had to buy a new one... This guy I'm building the comp for doesn't need that much space. So I'm getting him the Athlon 64 4000+. BTW, you say its not a lot for the price? Well I already said, here in good 'ol switzerland we do not have the same selection and prices as you.

Comparison:

Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego Newegg:
$368 USD
Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego Prodimex (local shop):
$420 USD

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Newegg:
$172 USD
Asus A8N-SLI Premium Prodimex:
$200 USD

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Newegg:
$283 USD
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Prodimex:
$360 USD

These may not be big differences, but when you buy a whole computer you get 200-300 USD more here.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Socket 939
Nice chip, if you can, get the ADA3800DAA5BV revision instead of the ADA3800DAA5CD

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 400MHz DDR Kit
Specifications on this? :)

GFX CARD: ASUS Extreme N7800GT/2DHTV PCIe ( GeForce 7800GT 256 MB)
Look around, but have a look around for cheaper ones ... generally speaking ASUS cards tend to be on the expensive side

PSU: ANTEC 500W Smartpower supply P4 ATX 2.0 2x Fan SP500PEC
12V@15+17 ... good PSU :)

Add a DVD-+ RW, perhaps DL for the future
Might as well since all the non-DL drives are well-obsolete

Also, for better read/write speed from the HD, look into the Western Digital Raptors.
Even though virtually nobody will ever notice the difference ... grabbing 16MB cache drives (both Maxtor and WD have them now) will give you a much more useful performance

X2 3800+ or AMD 64 Athlon 4000+ ??
The dualcore box is probably the better one for you

the 4000+ will give you better performance today...but when games start supporting dual core, then the 3800 x2 will probably be the better performer
This is a classic case of 150fps vs 130fps .... with the ondie memory controller you'll be ok regardless between these chips ... and if you need it, you can always OC a bit

4000+ FOR GAMING
3800+ X2 FOR MULTITASKING
GO FOR THE 4000+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again, ... a classic case of 150fps vs 130fps.

OK... What about long-term thinking, say a couple of years... Which one would you choose for a maximum long-term capacity?
The X2 of course ... K9s will end up replacing K8s (obviously)

The dual core, defenitely. You won't see less performance with it now, just wasted potential until someone develops the software needed to fulfill it.
Of course you'll see a benifit now: people very rarely do a single task at a time anymore

and i give it a 7. its a bit to expensive for what you get.
But from what ive seen of Swiss prices .. not excessively bad

Also if your thinking long term you may as well w8 till the AMD M2 Socket mobo`s are out !!!!
And in about 10 years they're gonna come out with a new platform so you might as well wait for that :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If this is a budget issue, why buy SLI? Something like the MSI K8N Neo4 Plat will run circles around it :)