Gaming console build

Ilcho

I'm thinking to make a game console. I mean from scratch, not using emulators. I want something built by myself. Here are my ideas:

1. Use an existing OS (for example DOS) and customize it, then design the hardware and start developing games.
  2. Make my own OS and file format, think of the way of developing games. This will be hard.
  3. Use ATMega microcontroller, write games and run them directly without OS.
What do you think? Which is the best? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ilcho

I've searched a lot and found something interesting. There's an Arduino library that displays on TV. It's called TVout. It might be useful. And here comes a question: How can i upload code without a computer and Arduino IDE? Something like cartridges or an sd card? It must be simple, so the users can upload games without programming experience. And don't understand how do things work too ; ). If you have any Ideas...

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
You could hardware implement a SD card reader or similar and distribute your games as either container files or as dedicated 'cartridges'.

If you're planning on trying to do mass market production, even better luck to you.

The labor/profitability ratio for this venture is astronomically not in your favor.

Ilcho

Ok. So I found something called bootloader-a program that runs other programs. Can the bootloader on the ATmega 328 run .ino files from sd card? And if you have any useful links, could you send them?
Thanks!

beers

Staff member
If you have to ask these kinds of questions, you aren't ready for this project.

Ilcho

You mean I have to learn more and try later? But I can't wait. I'm sure that these things with the bootloader aren't complicated and I can build the console.

ReMiXeDg

You are probably better off building a game out of web based programming and have it hosted online. but trying to build a whole console and then having to make the games to play on now that is one project in half and it may not be successful and you may just waste lots of time and money on it and get absolutely no where. If you want to develop games first try making some web based ones so you can get the hand of coding and a taste of the game making life. But really coming here for suggestions on how to make a console no one really has experience in that here so you may not get much feedback that you want to hear on this topic.