Gaming Lag Help/ Poss. Upgrade?

tboski123

I Was Wondering, I Have Been Playing Some Of These High End Games Lately, And I Seem To Have The Same Prob With Each Of Them. Take Doom And Cs:s As An Example. I Will Get Good Frame Rates But As I Move Or Shoot, I Get Some Lag Or Skipping AND THOSE LINES ACROSS THE SCREEN AS THOUGH MY PC IS STILL PROCESSING THE INFORMATION. Anybody Know What I'm Talking About? I Have Upgraded My Ram To 1mb And My Video Card To A X800pro 256mb. The Only Thing I Haven't Touched Is My Processor Amd 2400+ 266fsb 256cache. Is This My Bottle Neck? Now I Have Been Doing Some Homework And My Mobo(a7n8x-la, Which Is Similar To The Ones With The Nvidia Chipset,i Think Lol) Can Take Up To An Amd 3000+ 333fsb 512cache.if I Got That Processor Would That Solve My Problem For The Current List Of Games Out There Or At Least Give Me A Significant Boost In Performance When It Comes To Gaming? I Asked About This In Another Catergory But Would Like Some Responses From Some Hard Core Gamers, And Of Course Praetor Lol. :d

4W4K3

VIP Member
getting a CPU should help your system out alot. but with 1gb of RAM and an X800256mb/2400+ it should still run Doom and CS. possible driver problems? i would think ur CPU would run it without lagging.

tboski123

they run, but not smooth. i even set graphics levels on low to see. no difference! so that tells me graphically im fine, or at least i hope.it even recommends the high settings. drivers you think? i'll see what i can do. also, i did the source stress test on cs:s and got 63-64 fps which i think is good, but still there were spots of chopiness. though i know the xp 3000+ would be a good step up for me, i would hate to see the same thing happen if i got it, then the wife would chop off my ballz! other suggestions welcome! but thanks 4w4

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm...i would think u should be getting 75-80fps with that card. ur sure your CPU isn't downclocked at all? try setting it at 200*10...its probably at like 133*15. it'll still be stock 2.0GHZ but extra fsb will beef it up a bit and cooling shouldn't be a problem. might need to raise NB voltage a tad though.

tboski123

i have went into bios and cant adjust crap and if i could, what would be a safe voltage raise?

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
tboski123 said:
i have went into bios and cant adjust crap and if i could, what would be a safe voltage raise?

for 200FSB 1.6-1.7V should be plenty for your NB. CPU voltage should stay the same. might need more ram voltage to...actual volts for ram depends on RAM default voltage.

tboski123

Dude, How Can I Change Those Settings? I Have Went Into Bios And It Does Not Give Me The Option To Do Any Of Those Things.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tboski123 said:
Dude, How Can I Change Those Settings? I Have Went Into Bios And It Does Not Give Me The Option To Do Any Of Those Things.

if you dont have the options then your mobo BIOS is locked. you might not be able to change those settings, in whichcase i guess ur gonna have to find a different route. a locked mobo = screwed in some cases. possibly flash BIOS to a different version and see if its any more open to modification?

tboski123

Sorry To Keep Posting, But Im A Nebie To Stuff Like That. If You Could Kind Of Explain Step By Step How To Do That, That Would Be Great.

4W4K3

VIP Member
tboski123 said:
Sorry To Keep Posting, But Im A Nebie To Stuff Like That. If You Could Kind Of Explain Step By Step How To Do That, That Would Be Great.

you want to know how to update your BIOS? if THIS is your board then...THIS is what u need. you need to figure out what revision of a board urs is (usually somewhere on the mobo) and get the latest BIOS for it. they have a How-To on the asus site about flashing BIOS properly ( http://usa.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=83558&SLanguage=en-us ). hope that helps.