Gaming Laptop Help Needed

SmokeyMc

Hello all. I need some help with choosing a laptop for developing / gaming. It seems so much harder choosing a laptop than choosing specs for a desktop PC.

I will outline what I want the laptop to do and would be grateful for any suggestions:

- Ability to develop in VR. I won't be developing at the very top end graphics wise in VR but would like the ability to play high end VR games.

- Screen is not the most important factor as I have monitors available at the locations I will be using the laptop so if I have to slightly sacrifice screen performance for overall performance that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

- 4k ability when plugged into a monitor would be nice but not a deal breaker.

- Future proofish. I'd like the laptop not to be obsolete or completely outdated for at least 2 years as this is when I finish university and would like to keep it until at least then and after if possible.

- 32gb ram would be nice.

- Webcam not needed.

- Size not an issue. If its bigger with better performance that's perfectly fine.

- Battery life not an issue as it will most likely be plugged in wherever I use it.

- Reliable and good quality so it's not overheating or breaking after a short amount of time.

I think that's everything I need the laptop to do.

The laptops I've been debating between from my research are these:

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 15
Razer Blade 15
MSI GS66 Stealth
Asus ROG Strix Scar 17
Asus ROG Zephyrus G15

If anyone has any first hand experience using any of these or can tell me if I should avoid any of them it would be appreciated. Also any suggestions for a laptop I haven't listed that would also be appreciated.

My budget is at most £3000 but if I can get a laptop to do the majority of what I need for cheaper that would be good.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated.

beers

Staff member
Is there a specific one you had your eye on out of that list?

I’m using an Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD edition and it’s been pretty solid. The 6800m is generally underrated.

SmokeyMc

None in particular, just looking for advice. I will research into the one you recommended thanks. Do you know how it handles VR games?

SmokeyMc

Is there a specific one you had your eye on out of that list?

I’m using an Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD edition and it’s been pretty solid. The 6800m is generally underrated.
I ended up going for an ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16, Intel Core i9-11900H, RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD for £2000. I could not find one with a 3080 that was in stock anywhere without paying an extortionate price. I wanted the i9 with Thunderbolt 4 so In future I can use it along with an eGPU if good desktop GPU's ever come back into stock.