Gaming Monitor

Haydos_69

Hey,

I'm aiming to build a gaming computer, but I need a monitor for it.
Can anyone please tell me what a good monitor for gaming is, for a reasonable price?

Cheers :)

linkin

VIP Member
No such thing as a "gaming" monitor per se, just monitors with better parts/specifications.

Things to ignore:

Dynamic contrast ratios - they mean nothing.
Over-inflated refresh rates (600hz sub-field drive... I'm a tech-head and I don't even know what that means!)
Response times - they vary on the method and testing conditions
Brightness - who buys a screen based on how bright it is?
LED/LCD - All screens are LCD. They are either LED or CCFL backlit

The reason being is that there is no body or force that sets rules for these specifications, so manufacturers are free to make up whatever they want.

The only things that really do matter are the resolution of the panel and how much connectivity it has, whether it has speakers or not and so on.

Last thing, what is your idea of a "reasonable price" ?

curtains

Just go with something 1080p,

There all pretty much the same I'd say, unless your a photograph or a designer that deals with images all the time you won't notice much differences.

I doubt anyone notices the differences between 2ms and 5ms response time, I don't think they make them slower than 5ms.

Brands stick with Samsung, LG, Viewsonic, Philips, and dear I say it Apple (if you want to fork out the money as they are good quality).

Haydos_69

Just go with something 1080p,

There all pretty much the same I'd say, unless your a photograph or a designer that deals with images all the time you won't notice much differences.

I doubt anyone notices the differences between 2ms and 5ms response time, I don't think they make them slower than 5ms.

Brands stick with Samsung, LG, Viewsonic, Philips, and dear I say it Apple (if you want to fork out the money as they are good quality).

But I do use my comps for photography, photoshopping, ect....

nuke00

I've got an Acer 24' Full HD LCD... I play a lot of games on it and just love it! Great resolution range and great refresh rate! Payed it 190$ CAD. Best bang for the buck I think! Ho! And it's 1080p!

Aastii

VIP Member
No such thing as a "gaming" monitor per se, just monitors with better parts/specifications.

Things to ignore:

Dynamic contrast ratios - they mean nothing.
Over-inflated refresh rates (600hz sub-field drive... I'm a tech-head and I don't even know what that means!)
Response times - they vary on the method and testing conditions
Brightness - who buys a screen based on how bright it is?
LED/LCD - All screens are LCD. They are either LED or CCFL backlit

The reason being is that there is no body or force that sets rules for these specifications, so manufacturers are free to make up whatever they want.

The only things that really do matter are the resolution of the panel and how much connectivity it has, whether it has speakers or not and so on.

Last thing, what is your idea of a "reasonable price" ?

Refresh rates - you should be, if you can afford it, going for a 120Hz monitor, not only for fps in games, but, if anyone else is like myself and most others I know, they will keep a monitor until it dies, which is years and years and then a few more. Because of this if 3D takes off, you need a 120Hz monitor, at least for how it is done now and how it looks set to stay with the glasses.

Brightness - Me. Once you get a monitor that is too dark, you learn to notice the brightness. Try turning your brightness setting even just 10% lower than what it is now, and you will find in games, darkness is indistinguishable, which, if you play a game which has any kind of night, means you see nothing but complete black or if there is anything bright, a sort of dark beige colour .

LED/LCD - It is worth going for LED backlit screen. You get a lighter monitor (weight wise), you get a more efficient monitor, usually you will get a clearer picture because the back lighting is more even than LCD or edge lit LED, less heat production and much, much better contrast ratios, which again, leads to a clearer picture. You also get a much wider range of colours, which once again, leads to a much clearer image on screen.

I would go for:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=16621

instead. For all intents and purposes, it is the same monitor, but cheaper. You are losing speakers, but the quality of monitor speakers is shocking and few to no people ever use them anyway

linkin

VIP Member
Refresh rates - you should be, if you can afford it, going for a 120Hz monitor, not only for fps in games, but, if anyone else is like myself and most others I know, they will keep a monitor until it dies, which is years and years and then a few more. Because of this if 3D takes off, you need a 120Hz monitor, at least for how it is done now and how it looks set to stay with the glasses.

Brightness - Me. Once you get a monitor that is too dark, you learn to notice the brightness. Try turning your brightness setting even just 10% lower than what it is now, and you will find in games, darkness is indistinguishable, which, if you play a game which has any kind of night, means you see nothing but complete black or if there is anything bright, a sort of dark beige colour .

LED/LCD - It is worth going for LED backlit screen. You get a lighter monitor (weight wise), you get a more efficient monitor, usually you will get a clearer picture because the back lighting is more even than LCD or edge lit LED, less heat production and much, much better contrast ratios, which again, leads to a clearer picture. You also get a much wider range of colours, which once again, leads to a much clearer image on screen.

I would go for:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1094&products_id=16621

instead. For all intents and purposes, it is the same monitor, but cheaper. You are losing speakers, but the quality of monitor speakers is shocking and few to no people ever use them anyway

Well with my little rant, it mainly applied to today's televisions... I remember all the sales garbage this person was trying to feed my grandfather, I approached him and told him just how wrong he was. Still tried to sell us extended warranty :mad:

Of course refresh rate, contrast ratios and brightness matter, but with, say, 22" LED backlit monitors, most of them are the same panel, and therefore have the same specs. So unless anything stands out, like 120Hz/3D, they are technically all the same.

The hard part comes with different sizes, as they generally are different panels.

Dynamic contrast ratios are useless. You want the regular one. As for brightness, I think all screens are 250 nits/300 nits nowadays.

And of course the refresh rate determines whether you can use 3D or not. So it's either 60Hz or 120Hz. Ignore anything else about the refresh rate.

Merely trying to help see through all the marketing and flat-out lies ;)