Gaming motherboards

Hi this is my first time posting, thank you in advance for the advice.
I want to build a custom computer built for gaming, what are some good motherboards for this?

Laquer Head

How about first, whats your overall budget? Do you need everything new, or do you have any parts to use on a new build?

There are a billion and one motherboards on the market so choices are endless, we need to narrow down what you as the user do, so we can make appropriate suggestions for you.!

Cisco001

where are you?
What is your overall budget for all component?
What programme will you run?
Will you overclock?
When you say custom build, I guess it mean you assemble it yourself?

Id rather get everything new, I do have parts I could use if nessacary. My budget is $400
Cisco001 I'm on Utah and I plan on ordering all the parts offline. I'm not going to overclock. Yea that's what I mean by custom. I don't know much when it comes to computers. I got interested in computers when my buddy gave me a computer a couple years ago. The computer I have now is a Asus p8z68-v lx. It has a Asus graphics card powered by nvidia. The case is a cooler master glite.

beers

Staff member
What specific components do you have right now? (CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU)

For $400 and a Z68 board you could probably just upgrade your current PC which would be more cost effective.

I have no idea what components I have. What is the gpu and psu?
how would i find out what components I have. I know I can take the side cover off and look at my cpu and ram.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
The i5 2500k should still be very solid for gaming, I second the suggestion that you upgrade your computer rather than building new. If it can't handle games now, your GPU is probably a bit weak or you might need more RAM.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty crappy psu there, single rail psu with only 30 amps on the 12volt rail. A corsair cx430 has better ratings then that one does. You'll definitely need to replace it. Look in device manager, click the plus sign next to display adapters and tell us what it says.

Cisco001

You probably need a decent PSU. Probably about $60 - 70

Wait for couple of weeks to see how much is GTX 1070 end up or if the price of GTX 970 come down.

Intel_man

VIP Member
GTX 1070 even with the non founder's edition has a MSRP of $379.... don't think his budget is remotely close to making it happen.

beers

Staff member
Probably a good candidate for the Radeon 480 at $199

With a 150w TDP you probably don't even need to update the PSU (although I would anyway)

EINREB

Need a specific model number as if its a cheap 550 watt it won't push a good video card.

What makes a psu cheap? 550W is 550W. They might divide the Wattage in different output Voltages and ratings that you want, but that does not make it necessarily cheap.

beers

Staff member
What makes a psu cheap? 550W is 550W. They might divide the Wattage in different output Voltages and ratings that you want, but that does not make it necessarily cheap.
That's entirely the issue. Plenty of low end companies like Diablotek will slap a 500w sticker on a 350w unit. Plus a lot of low end units will just inflate numbers on the label that aren't accurate to capacity.

350w of a 550w PSU on the 5v rail gives you effectively nothing. Most quality units will be rated near the max capacity of the unit on the 12v rail alone.

"550w is 550w" is also a flawed argument as there are other aspects of power delivery such as ripple and cross-load voltage stability that can vary greatly between units. A lot of low end ones don't even meet the ATX spec and can deteriorate the life of your components or introduce stability issues.

This might help give you some more info:
http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html