Gaming/Multitasking For $800

emac227

im looking for a computer for gaming and multitasking like photoediting, msn, itunes and browsing the web. Budget $800 i dont need monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers. tigerdirect.ca because of cheap shipping

daisymtc

Approx $800 list. From newegg.ca

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB
Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB OEM
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM
Antec earthwatts EA430 430W
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

maroon1

I suggest changing some of the parts to this

Get E7400, instead of E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

Get 9800GTX+ instead of 8800GTS 512 ( and it comes with free Call of Duty5)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127392

Get this RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220293

EDIT: Oh, it seems that he lives in Canada !

Last edited:

emac227

your throwing your money away on that psu, unless your looking to sli your system in the future you dont need that much power, a 500 or 600 wat would be more then enough for that system

emac227

Everything looks fine, but what are you playing as far as games go?
umm well cod4(comes with gpu and cod5 sucks) and cod6(when it comes out) and possibly b2142 not sure maybe fallout 3 mostly shooters
your throwing your money away on that psu, unless your looking to sli your system in the future you dont need that much power, a 500 or 600 wat would be more then enough for that system
i was thinking of 9800gt sli but not right now maybe in like 6 months it would be nice to keep the opinions open would a 600 do for sli?

Pck21

umm well cod4(comes with gpu and cod5 sucks) and cod6(when it comes out) and possibly b2142 not sure maybe fallout 3 mostly shooters

i was thinking of 9800gt sli but not right now maybe in like 6 months it would be nice to keep the opinions open would a 600 do for sli?

Ah well then you should be ok with that set up. I don't know how many of those games will run at all high settings for ya, but you should do just fine.

As far as the PSU, if you're going to be getting another GPU to SLI, then that's the right one for you.

emac227

Ah well then you should be ok with that set up. I don't know how many of those games will run at all high settings for ya, but you should do just fine.

As far as the PSU, if you're going to be getting another GPU to SLI, then that's the right one for you.
will they run on high settings with sli? or is there another card that would be better for not much more money? i also need a cheap but good case

Last edited:

Pck21

will they run on high settings with sli? or is there another card that would be better for not much more money? i also need a cheap but good case

Yes, they should, but SLI can be finicky with some games. Some games need to have either completely updated drivers or rolled back drivers to work with SLI. This site about SLI should give you some more information about the whole set up. What you'll need is the exact same 9800GT (specs and manufacturer) and then a good, solid PSU with at least 30 AMPS on the 12v rail. Having two video cards is draining on the PSU so that's why you never just look at wattage, but the amps across the 12v rails as well.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you live in Canada, Newegg is still not the best solution as of now. Their prices are still too damn high and the shipping? WTF!!!

NCIX.com is the way to go if you're living in Canadaland.

emac227

If you live in Canada, Newegg is still not the best solution as of now. Their prices are still too damn high and the shipping? WTF!!!

NCIX.com is the way to go if you're living in Canadaland.
thanks

but also would just one 9800GTX be a better option