Gaming notebook, which one?!

budda0282

By the end of this week, I plan on purchasing a gaming laptop for my son who is unfortunately stuck at home with cancer. Since he's always back and forth from appointments, I wanted to get this gift for him. I cant seem to decide between a couple of notebooks, the Asus G1S-A1, G1S-X3 (Best Buys model), and the TOSHIBA Satellite X205-S9349. I cannot find out if it is possible to expand Best Buy's G1 model with more ram. Their G1S-X1 model on their website claims that it is nonexpandable past 2GB of ram and the X1 and X3 have the same processor I think. Also, the toshiba only has a 1.8 core2 duo, whereas the other two have a 2.2...but it has an HD-DVD drive and an 8700gt gpu. Im very confused and want to get my son the best laptop I can within that range. If I could get some opinions I would greatly appreciate the help! :)

curtains

I didn't have time to look at those laptops but the main things u wan't in a gaming laptop is a good GPU(graphics processing unit or graphics card whateva u want to call it)generally the last numbers make it better and the first number the series.. like nivida 8700gt(first numbers a 8 so its a 8 series card) so like a 8800gt is generally better than a 8700gt .. but note a 7900gtx is usually better than a 8400gs or something just cause its a newer series doesn't mean it performs good as well best thing to do is to look up reivews ....

besides a good graphics card in your computer you'd prob want 2gb of ram ... with CPU speed .. in gaming its not a important as having enough ram or having a good GPU .. slower CPU jst means it'll load slower ... but having not enough ram means it'll RUN WAY slower(run and load are differnt things)... as long as its a core 2 duo u should be fine(there very nice CPU's)

a decent screen size is also nice, harddisk space isn't that important in gaming mainly jst if ur going 2 use it for storage.

Hope this helps.

HumanMage

If you don't care about screen size or weight I'd go with the Toshiba as well on the grounds of pure graphics performance. The G1 may have a better processor but the significance isn't that huge.

budda0282

specs

The simplified specs are pretty much this:

Asus G1S-A1/X3
cpu: core2 duo 2.2 T7500
gpu: geforce 8600gt
ram: 2gb
15.4" WSXGA+
hdd: 160gb
optical: Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Toshiba
cpu: T7100(1.80GHz) cor2 duo
gpu: geforce 8700gt
17: Wide xga+
hdd: 240GB
optical: HD DVD-ROM / Super Multi
4-Built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with subwoofer

The simplified specs are pretty much this:

Asus G1S-A1/X3
cpu: core2 duo 2.2 T7500
gpu: geforce 8600gt
15.4" WSXGA+
hdd: 160gb
optical: Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Toshiba
cpu: T7100(1.80GHz) cor2 duo
gpu: geforce 8700gt
17: Wide xga+
hdd: 240GB
optical: HD DVD-ROM / Super Multi
4-Built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with subwoofer

Personally I would take the Asus G1S, I wouldn't buy from BestBuy b/c of their jacked up price and crazy techs..

The Toshiba has a better video card, larger screen and larger hard drive... I would jump for that Toshiba for the performance if it had a better CPU, I like Toshiba, they have good durability and my Qosmio G35 is still running good...

Boomer

hum, hard to say. the biggest thing that i don't like about the Toshiba is its screen. its a 17 inch with only 1440 x 900 resolution. the Asus has a smaller 15.4 inch screen with a nice resolution of 1680 x 1050. i like having higher resolution screens.......but thats just me.

the Toshiba is probably the better deal price wise, but if it was me i think i would get the ASUS as i feel it is a nicer laptop overall. and i know the 8600m GT would play everything i want anyways. even my 8600 m GS in my HP does.

heres the G1S on Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220182

heres a list of all the mobile GPUs that compares performance
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile...rk-List.844.0.html?&or=&search=&sort=3dmark06

Last edited:

budda0282

Ive read that the Best Buy model is not as good as the "regular" Asus G1S-A1. I just figured, if something went wrong I could simply waltz down to Best Buy and get the thing fixed if it needed it.