Gaming PC build help

ANNR

Following is what I have picked out(I only plan on spending $300 dollars)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX

Here is what I already have at home.

Case
Power supply
GPU
SSD

My question is, with only a budget of 300 is it possible to get something better than what I have picked out?

Can I have a better/faster CPU?
I only need 8GB of RAM and maybe Cheaper Mobo so I can get better CPU?

I don't plan on overclocking.

All your input are appreciated
Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you use your system for that you think you need a better processor? Let me ask you this, what is your current cpu? I would probably stay with 16gb of ram as its future proof for most people. I myself finally went up to 16gb in my last build almost 2 years ago.

ANNR

What do you use your system for that you think you need a better processor? Let me ask you this, what is your current cpu? I would probably stay with 16gb of ram as its future proof for most people. I myself finally went up to 16gb in my last build almost 2 years ago.

Yes. I have few pcs in the house. The one in my room has I5-6400 with 8gb RAM and gtx1050. and the one in the living room i also use. I tent to do little swaps and upgrades on the pc in my house every now and than but that is not important.

I don't do much on my pc, not much of a gamer but I do play Ragnarok online, watch movies and youtube.

I just wanted to get something else. something better because i have developed a negative feeling towards my main pc after i started to look around for new pc build above.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That game doesn't require much at all to play. So that Ryzen 5 3600 would be fine with 16gb of ram since its so cheap right now.

ANNR

I have a PNY 240gb sata III 6Gb/s SSD

M.2 SSD vs traditional SSD. will I notice any difference from day to day usage, such as opening closing applications, browsing the web, open close pictures, word documents and such?

Or will I only notice speed increase from M.2 SSD when I am playing high resource demanding games?

Please keep in mind that i don't game much.

Should I keep my PNY SSD and save the money from M.2 ssd for something else?

Thank you

Darren

Staff member
M.2 vs SATA doesn't matter a whole lot in typical day to day. That said M.2 drives are hardly much more than a SATA equivalent so I'd opt for an M.2 for size and wiring reasons as much as anything. The physical interface might be M.2, but you also have SATA and NVME type drives, which are significantly different with NVME being a lot faster.

OmniDyne

I have a PNY 240gb

CS900? Or CS1311?

M.2 SSD vs traditional SSD.

M.2 is simply the form factor. Consumer M.2 SSDs exist in SATA or PCIe variants. PCIe M.2 SSDs are often called NVMe drives.

will I notice any difference from day to day usage

Not likely. Windows does not benefit greatly from PCIe NVMe SSDs, currently.

Or will I only notice speed increase from M.2 SSD when I am playing high resource demanding games?

A PCIe NVMe SSD can benefit loading times or even performance in specific games under specific circumstances. Short answer: Not really.

Should I keep my PNY SSD

Based on what you've described, yes.

Make sure you're doing backups

Last edited:

ANNR

Hi Omnidyne. I have the CS900.

So on amazon the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX was out of stock. I heen waiting for it to come back.

anyway, I found the following instead while waiting for the MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H - I checked and it supports Ryzen 7 2700x out of box. Can someone confirm? Thank you

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB

I will add another 8GB of RAM later. For now its all about lowest price.

My question is, is Ryzen 7 2700x noticeable better compare to Ryzen 5 3600 on everyday windows use, such as watching movies, opening documents, browsing webpages?

I don't do much gaming but I do play Ragnarok online. So with that in mind, should I just go with Ryzen 5 2600 instead to save another $50 dollars compare to 3600? How does the 2600 stackup to the 2700x?

Thanks

OmniDyne

is Ryzen 7 2700x noticeable better compare to Ryzen 5 3600 on everyday windows use, such as watching movies, opening documents, browsing webpages?

No. Although technically speaking, the 3600 is a superior processor.

I don't do much gaming but I do play Ragnarok online. So with that in mind, should I just go with Ryzen 5 2600 instead to save another $50 dollars compare to 3600?

Absolutely.

beers

Staff member
because i have developed a negative feeling towards my main pc
Why? The current one you have should be fine, although I'd throw more RAM at it. If you don't have a demanding environment it's a bit of a waste tbh.
is Ryzen 7 2700x noticeable better compare to Ryzen 5 3600
I've had both, 3600 is noticeably better in single thread or gaming scenarios, the 2700x has more multithread performance. Depends what you're doing.

ANNR

I just ran 3d mark on my 1070 8gb and it got a score of 10510. thats 1000 less compare to the 3d mark benchmark I found online.

is this normal? I got the ryzen 5 2600 by the way.

thanks