Gaming PC First Build, Advice Needed

Hey guys,

I’m in need of advice for a motherboard. I’ve checked out many models but quite a few of them seem to do the same function and I have been left a little confused. I’d appreciate any advice people can give on a good motherboard for my spec that is also future proof. This is a new build being built from scratch and so other components can be changed if it would work out better overall.

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Graphics Card: 1GB XFX HD5770, 1200MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, Cores 800
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Optical Drive: Samsung 22x SH-S223B DVD±RW SATA
PSU: Corsair TX650W

As for a case, I could use some advice on that as well. Table space is not an issue so something that can give me good cooling as well as room for expansion is preferred. Currently, I am leaning towards the Antec 900, but I’d like to here your opinions as well.

If there are any other suggestions for this spec, please tell me. I’d appreciate any advice you can give me regarding it.

Thanks. :)
 
^ The motherboards he posted are good quality...ASUS and Gigabyte are nearly always the best brands to go with.

Those cases are just a couple of good ones. There are plenty more choices there if you don't like those. NZXT and Cooler Master usually have the best cases for the price.
 
For the mobo id recommend the G-B P55A-UD4P over the G-B P55A-UD3. Its more expensive but i believe its worth it.

For the case i have a NZXT Zero 2 and quite like it, but of course when it comes to cases wot suits one person doesnt always suit another.
 
ok, thanks man, but why these choices?

anyother opinions?

Gigabyte and Asus are top leading motherboard brand.
with i5 750, P55 chipset is the way to go.
Main difference of two mobo would be if you need to run dual video card

Case - Since you leading toward Antec 900. I would assume you've the budget for that. And you probably want to consider other case with similar space providing. CM690 is slightly cheaper, and HAF922 with a slightly different outlook. Both are great case anyway.

If you after cheaper case, have a look at these as well

Casecom 6788
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172779

Compucase 6BRB
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179122

Antec 300
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...en&safe=on&cid=1484538878808606053&sa=title#p
 
I've been in a similar boat lately.

I was trolling around on the PCMech boards and they were telling me that although XFX GPU's have a "Double Lifetime Warranty" they are really poor customer service. I was advised to go with Diamond, ASUS, HIS or Sapphire GPU.
 
ASUS P7P55D mobo is good. They make many variations but the pro is under $200 and has good options.

As far as cases go I will argue the Cooler Master 590 is the best case and value on the market. Really nice cooling. However, if you like flash it is very plain, which is also why I like it so much. There are no windows or any color other than black on the outside.
Lots of room, comes with 2 fans, room for 4 more, will fit 2 5970 cards no problem and a long PCU no problem. After market CPU cooler, no problem, water ports = yes. The whole front is mesh for more cooling. It is very solid with dampened HDD mounts and removeable HDD tray. I do like the HDD setup in the CM 690 which is sideways though. Paid $55 at Microcenter, usually $79 on the web.
 
Last edited:
Poor customer service with XFX? Not at all sir, i'm doing an RMA with them for my 4850, they moved location of their RMA centre, so my card hasnt been tested yet. but yes, it was faulty. straight away after i listed the symptoms they told me it was faulty (duh, but other companies tell to try it in another computer, update your drivers and so on) and to send it in straight away.

They've also answered my questions within a few days of asking. And they know what they are talking about.
 
Oh well thats good to hear then.

Lets have it be known that i know next to nothing about any of this stuff and the only information i'm spitting out is that of other people from other forums.. :)
 
Back
Top