Gaming Rig I am ordering today.. Any last min changes I should make?

Darren

Staff member
Looks good to me. CPU cooler is fine.

For the price hike on the RAM, I'd leave it. You wouldn't get really any noticeable performance increase, particularly for that much money.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Make sure you immediately update the BIOS and download drivers to a USB instead of using packaged CD.

http://www.asus.com/au/supportonly/Z170 PRO GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Uh.. Drivers are going to be all done automatically through Windows, and why BIOS update immediately? Unless he's having problems or looking for a new feature, BIOS updates aren't something you should do by default. Particularly if you don't know what you're doing you run the risk of bricking your board.

Okedokey

Uh.. Drivers are going to be all done automatically through Windows, and why BIOS update immediately? Unless he's having problems or looking for a new feature, BIOS updates aren't something you should do by default. Particularly if you don't know what you're doing you run the risk of bricking your board.

Drivers for Asus boards are often custom intel ones more up to date than on the intel or Windows update site. I know this from personal experience. Secondly many drivers wont be found in Windows update as they're not all included in higher end hardware. Thirdly, the BIOS has a flash back and recovery facility which makes the risk almost nill and gain worth the extra stability for a new board. And the bios updates as default is just your opinion, where Asus has released a new stability fix for that board almost fortnightly.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Drivers for Asus boards are often custom intel ones more up to date than on the intel or Windows update site. I know this from personal experience. Secondly many drivers wont be found in Windows update as they're not all included in higher end hardware. Thirdly, the BIOS has a flash back and recovery facility which makes the risk almost nill and gain worth the extra stability for a new board. And the bios updates as default is just your opinion, where Asus has released a new stability fix for that board almost fortnightly.

I agree, I personally have had a few problems with one of my laptops updating drivers on windows update and then suddenly not working. I don't trust windows update to do my drivers, I prefer to go straight to the manufacturers website for the correct and latest drivers. Bios updates are also a good idea, they improve stability and functionality with other hardware and these days it is so much simpler and safer to do, but its not a good idea to do when your system is unstable.

Ty I will do this as soon as the machine in put together. I just received confirmation that all my parts but my case have shipped and will arrive tuesday.. case wont arrive until friday :( lol