Gaming system: Vista 64 or XP

N3rd

Which would be the best to go with? I see alot of people saying vista 64 sucks even though it has DX10 which I assume would be nice for gaming. I dont want to make the wrong choice here before I build my comp. Please fill me in. I looked in search and couldnt find anything straight and to the point...

So really the only applications I run anyways are games..no office applications or studio crap, etc.

Last edited:

Vizy

people usually say vista 64 sucks because of the available drivers for it...or the lack of. Vista 32 should be good for you, because if u wanted to use the DX10 factor XP doesnt have it. But vista 64 shouldn't be that bad, and plus it can have more RAM, and most of the drivers issue's are being fixed.

N3rd

So would 64 run a game the same as 32 if the program didn't support 64? I plan on getting 4gigs so 64 has a tally mark there.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
64Bit XP sucks. 64bit VISTA is just as supported as 32bit vista. Except for wireless network adapters (which are a PITA anyway) ;)

64bit vista will also let you use 4Gb of ram, 32bit only utilizes 3.5Gb. If your buying and gaming, i recommend 64bit vista.

shenry

If you are just gaming and want DX10 then go Vista 64. If you don't care that much for Vista or don't feel the need for DX10 go XP. Since XP use's less resources it will perform a little better as well.

In your case just go Vista 64bit. With 4 GB of RAM who needs to worry about resources.

WeatherMan

I've been using all 4 in the last few months, to me XP64 is the most responsive, but drivers aren't 100% there for it, although gettin better. Theres also a few games that fail to run properly, or even at all in some cases under the O.S.

XP32 you'll probably already know about, will run all your games at a good speed but lacks any support in DX10.

Vista 64 is apparently slightly faster than 32, as is generally said with most 64/32Bit O.S's, I didn't really see much in my case though, although driver support is there for 98% of drivers games and applications in Both 32 & 64Bit versions of Vista.

You will get some slowdown, an there will be games that perform worse than others, but there are also a few games that have performance increases under Vista. Plus you've got DX10. I personally switched back to XP after having just a bit too much performance drop in the main game I play.

It really depends what you're doing / playing when talking about performance differences although Vista is generally considered, an proven to be slower at the majority of day to day tasks. But its still a great OS to work with, depends how much you care about FPS an a few seconds encoding times etc.

Last edited:

yopmemama

this very much depends on the graphics card you go if your on a budget and go pre dx10 go for xp as it is less resource heavy and has large range of succesfull drivers and you could upgard to dx10 graphics card in the future when vista has the drivers that are need howerver if post dx10 i would say go for vista as adequate drivers can be found atm and the pewrformance drop will not be that significant plus games like crysis really do blow everything else out of the water

jw214

wont xp still make use of more than 3.5GB's even though it doesnt show in some screens?it seems like as long as it was plugged in it would work...