Gateway Fx 2252

Lawa-pavilion

Hello, recently I have been given an old Laptop which is a Gateway Fx ms2252.
It has 8gb of RAM and core duo P8700x
What ever i do it gets really hot.
i have done as much as I could like upgrading it to SSD and increased the RAM to 8gb.
I was wondering if there is anything else i can do.
Is there any hope?
I am student and I recently broke my laptop screen i kinda can’t afford anything.
thank you any help will be appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the exhaust port for dust bunnies? That machine is really old and its also a possibility that the thermal paste between cpu and heatsink is dried out and needs to be replaced. Is the cooling fan even running?

Lawa-pavilion

thank you for ur reply.
yes the fan is cleaned and it runs.
on windows 10 keeps shutting down.
on Linux though it works but during for example basic writing! it shuts down and i checked the log and it says critical temperature reached. tried to opened up for better air Colling still the same.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that the thermal paste needs changing. I'm actual surprised that runs windows 10.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying that. If there is no dust that is blocking the exhaust then your only other option is to replace the thermal paste. If that don't drop the temp to safe level then there is something else wrong. Hopefully you are comfortable tearing a laptop down to get to cpu and heatsink, some can be a pain. If not, you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

beers

Staff member
My guess is that the thermal paste needs changing. I'm actual surprised that runs windows 10.
Socket P wasn't too bad, Socket M with its 32-bit RAM addressing limitation on the chipset was some boocrap, though. I still have my Gateway MX6959 but there's no way I'd run w10 on it. A lightweight linux distro makes it into a usable computer.