Gateway,GOOD OR BAD?

Diego

I have heard people say Gateway are excellent and some that they work like crap. Personally I will say they are mostly good desktops. When I was in fourth grade the school ordered about 15 gateway computers for our classroom. I enjoyed its performance on online games and other stuff. But what do you think about Gateway?

Geoff

VIP Member
i've also heard that gateways are nice computers, although if your want longevity, i would go with dell or hp.

ViperGTS19801

geoff5093 said:
i've also heard that gateways are nice computers, although if your want longevity, i would go with dell or hp.

Dell? For LONGEVITY? O_< *twitch* What the fuxx0rz?! The hell is wrong with you, man?!

HP, though...yes.

Or build your own and graduate from the realm of n00bne55 to being one of us. ^^

Diego

I have a hp pavilion 533w i bought about 3 years ago and i had monor problems with it but now im thinking about getting new memory ram, 128mb video card and maybe upgrade my intel celeron 2.0 ghz CPU to a pentium 4 2.0ghz CPU. I have played lots of games in my computer and its used daily for more than 5 hours usually internet surfing or like what im doing right now. The only major problem I had with this desktop is Viruses and Spyware.

ViperGTS19801

For viruses, I like Norton Antivirus Internet Security Suite. For spyware, try SpySweeper. Run it once, and it gets 99%. Run it again and it wipes everything off that's spyware. Only takes a few minutes to run, too./

I2EN3GADE

i dont like HP. mine is unstable and the cd/dvd drives didnt work when i got it. plus theyre pretty expensive compared to Dell, which i recommend if youre not going to build your own.

Verve

Dell fills theirs up with a bunch of programs that bug you to register and crap like that. Gateway has hardly any of that stuff. Gateway is definatly higher quality, but the difference between Dell is pretty small.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
ViperGTS19801 said:
Dell? For LONGEVITY? O_< *twitch* What the fuxx0rz?! The hell is wrong with you, man?!

HP, though...yes.

Or build your own and graduate from the realm of n00bne55 to being one of us. ^^

Well, you are the noob at this forum so, try explaining your opinion in a more grownup fashion.

Many businesses, school and home offices have used Dell for years. While they are not the cheapest, fastest or best looking computer, they get the job done for people who either do not have the know-how, time or patience to build their own...

converting_boxes

Thats true, and my schools dells have pentium 4s instead of celerons hich i think is a waist of money because we never really need anything more than a pentium 2.

ViperGTS19801

SFR said:
Well, you are the noob at this forum so, try explaining your opinion in a more grownup fashion.

Alright, fine. My first Dell was about three years ago. The video card (a 32MB AGP card) shipped DOA (dead on arrival). The hard drive failed in three weeks. And the monitor displayed micoloring within a few months.

Then I got a new Dell 3000 only a couple months ago. Again, the hard drive failed in less than a month. Then, upon replacing it, it turns out that the IDE controller had failed.

Not to mention the assorted icons and programs that not only slow down the machines, but annoyingly bugger the user about registration, licensing, etc.

My apologies for not being perfectly mature.

Johnnyboy0056

Diego said:
The only major problem I had with this desktop is Viruses and Spyware.

the brand of computer has nothing to do with this. this is gonna happen with any computer, its a matter of firewalls and virus protection and adware programs.

skidude

PROS

Pretty cheap for a pre built system
Fair customer service
Good processors

CONS

Underpowered or no gfx. cards
you'll save even more building it yourself
cheap parts

X24

Well, if you don't want to build urslef go with HP or Gateway or emachines......my emachine has been going for 4 years i believe, and just now have i switched from it to a laptop and spare parts computer and am now going to build myself a gaming desktop this christmas, along with a few other for other people.
the dell mobo on my spare parts computer is cr@pp, and i have also had friends and family have trouble with them, so i really don't like dell for desktops, even though their laptops are exceptional.

so, i'd go with emachines or gateway since they are cheaper......but if you could build it yourself, it would be way better and cheaper.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>

One of who?

HP, though...yes.

I dont think there is anything wrong with em for his statement on dells. Although there is allot wrong with what you said.

Edit:

Sorry I did not read far enough ahead before I reacted. I did not know a Moderator had already responded and I was out of line.

Last edited:
get HP WAYYYYYY BETTER!!!! ive used to have 2 gateway so bad quaility, both of th hard drives crashed from physical problems