Gateway Notebook with Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3700+

alanuofm

VIP Member
not too bad. video card isnt going to hold up to much gaming. only 4 pixel pipelines with a low transistor count. and they are cheaping you out on the memory as well.

Enjoihcky24/7

Every other person say that they played Doom 3 just fine. I rally only plan on playing World Of Warcraft, Warcraft III, And Battle Feild 1942. other than that procession some minor picter editing and music storage. I will prob watch DVD's and browse the internet (obviously lol) Will it run those fine. I've heard iut was running games on high quality settings without any lag.

alanuofm

VIP Member
well depends on the definition of fine. the 6800 ultra has 16 parallel pixel pipelines and 220M transistors and cant even pull 100fps on doom3. theres no way the X600 with 4 parallel pixel pipelines and probably less than 75M transistors with a lower clock will perform too well. on lower settings it will be fine however.

Enjoihcky24/7

I don't mind a little lag as long as it doesnt look like crap. I want the image and text in game to be clear. Will it?

EDIT: And Thanks for all the help you've given me. It's much appreciated.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Enjoihcky24/7 said:
I don't mind a little lag as long as it doesnt look like crap. I want the image and text in game to be clear. Will it?

EDIT: And Thanks for all the help you've given me. It's much appreciated.

did you hear this from someone with an x600 desktop card? cuz the mobile cards are watered down due to heat issues and energy conservation. one of the main causes of drop in fps is higher resolution. for the game to look crisp you have to play at the native resolution and i am guessing the native resolution on that screen is 1280x800 due to the widescreen. that is a pretty high resolution. so it will probably run but with lower fps. lemme try to find you a better deal.

Enjoihcky24/7

alanuofm said:
did you hear this from someone with an x600 desktop card? cuz the mobile cards are watered down due to heat issues and energy conservation. one of the main causes of drop in fps is higher resolution. for the game to look crisp you have to play at the native resolution and i am guessing the native resolution on that screen is 1280x800 due to the widescreen. that is a pretty high resolution. so it will probably run but with lower fps. lemme try to find you a better deal.
Ok thanks. I was searching google with the model number and reading reviews for the specific computer. It also said that it doesnt normally overheat or use the fan. (i'm not arguing just reallyaing information I've read)

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
ok you ready to be impressed?

inspiron 9300
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
80GB Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Free Dell Color Printer 720

TOTAL:$1,156.00

that video card has 220M transistors and 12 parallel pixel pipelines.

heres a benchmark on it. notice it says high quality settings

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2268&p=4

Enjoihcky24/7

alanuofm said:
ok you ready to be impressed?

inspiron 9300
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
80GB Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Free Dell Color Printer 720

TOTAL:$1,156.00

that video card has 220M transistors and 12 parallel pixel pipelines.

heres a benchmark on it. notice it says high quality settings

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2268&p=4
WOW! I will definately look into that more carefully.
So that will run crisp. Just curious as this is not a BIG issue. How much battery life (assuming it'll be better since it is Pentium M). And will it be slower because of 512? And is the video memory shared? Also the processor is slower, what does this do? Sorry for all the questions. I truely am impressed and this really does change things.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Enjoihcky24/7 said:
WOW! I will definately look into that more carefully.
So that will run crisp. Just curious as this is not a BIG issue. How much battery life (assuming it'll be better since it is Pentium M). And will it be slower because of 512? And is the video memory shared? Also the processor is slower, what does this do? Sorry for all the questions. I truely am impressed and this really does change things.

battery life will be better because pentium m's are one of the best on power consumption.

you really have no need for the 1gig unless you are running 20 applications at once. plus that is ddr2 and a weee bit faster than the pc2700 you are getting. the video is dedicated and is the geforce 6800 go which is the best mobile card out currently (next to the geforce 6800 ultra but not a big diff).

arguably, the pentium M clock for clock is the fastest processor. the 1.6 ghz pentium M is actually faster than the 2.4 ghz pentium 4. i lost the bench mark but i read one where an overclocked pentium m 2.46 ghz outperformed the amd fx-57.

edit: the pentium M at idle consumes 5 watts while consuming a mere 27 watts at full load.

yes it will run good.

Last edited:

Enjoihcky24/7

So this is a better comp all in all? If so it looks like i found my comp. (Once I sell my Go-cart that I've outgrown) Now how do I get it down to that pice when I buy. I've read about coupons. Do I need any? I'm assuming I get this from the dell site but which section?

alanuofm

VIP Member
Enjoihcky24/7 said:
So this is a better comp all in all? If so it looks like i found my comp. (Once I sell my Go-cart that I've outgrown) Now how do I get it down to that pice when I buy. I've read about coupons. Do I need any? I'm assuming I get this from the dell site but which section?

yes i have a coupon that deducted 750$ from the price that expires on 5 days. yes its a better computer overall.

alanuofm

VIP Member
go to dell home and select the dell 9300. keep all the specs identical to what i have. read everything carefully and make sure they are. its optional if you want to get a larger battery (the 9 cell) but its not a big deal. then when you check out, put in this code: ?M1T$NG7GWRK2D

then you should be set.

Enjoihcky24/7

alanuofm said:
go to dell home and select the dell 9300. keep all the specs identical to what i have. read everything carefully and make sure they are. its optional if you want to get a larger battery (the 9 cell) but its not a big deal. then when you check out, put in this code: ?M1T$NG7GWRK2D

then you should be set.
Thank you VERY VERY much. Why aren't you a moderator? :D

Enjoihcky24/7

alanuofm said:
have already submitted an application. not reviewed yet.
You have my reccomendation for mod. Anyway I have it in the cart it's $1260 shipped. I bought a cable for the printer because it say printer cables don't come with it. Is that a big deal?And Also Thanks again, you were very helpful.
Also I got rid of the security software that it defaults to? Is that a big deal?

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
Enjoihcky24/7 said:
You have my reccomendation for mod. Anyway I have it in the cart it's $1260 shipped. I bought a cable for the printer because it say printer cables don't come with it. Is that a big deal?And Also Thanks again, you were very helpful.

thats not bad at all. the gateway one would have been much higher after taxes. yes the cable from dell would work fine or you could find one at best buy. whats good about those printers is that the cartridges are only 20$ at kmart. the lexmark cartridges do work despite what they say.

Enjoihcky24/7

alanuofm said:
thats not bad at all. the gateway one would have been much higher after taxes. yes the cable from dell would work fine or you could find one at best buy. whats good about those printers is that the cartridges are only 20$ at kmart. the lexmark cartridges do work despite what they say.
Cool Thanks :D Another bonus is the warentee(sp?) Gate way didn't have the warrentee available from manufacturer only was sold at best buy for $250.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Enjoihcky24/7 said:
Cool Thanks :D Another bonus is the warentee(sp?) Gate way didn't have the warrentee available from manufacturer only was sold at best buy for $250.

yeah dell warranty is great. i sent in my laptop and it was fixed and returned within 2 days. they use next day airmail with DHL which is sweet. shouldnt have a need for anything more than 1 year unless you are clumsy. also their computers are really easy to take apart.