GeForce GTX 1060 will it overheat inside my case?

George Oaks

Hey,
I'm planning to upgrade my current GPU to a GeForce GTX 1060 (the MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5). This upgrade is quite big for me, but I am inexperienced when it comes to matters of 'building gaming pcs' and hardware tech etc.

The question I had was: would this GPU overheat inside my relatively small desktop case.
My desktop case model is the: CM431 Micro ATX, it does not have an innate cooling system installed (no fan/water cooling). I know this MSI GPU has two fans, but how would it be possible for them to release all of the GPU heat out of such a condensed case, with minimal ventilation? Would it be a smart idea for me to upgrade my PC tower or could I get away with housing this GeForce GTX 1060 within my relatively small case?

I would appreciate any answer long or short, thank you for your time.

P.S
My mother board is the MSI H67MA-E35 (B3), although i'm not sure if this information is relevant.
My processor is an Intel i7 2600 (CPU 3.40 GHZ).

Darren

Staff member
Assuming it physically fits you should be fine as long as you put at least one fan in there. Does the case not have one intake fan on the front? Looks like it does from the pictures I'm finding. An intake and exhaust fan would be ideal but a single intake is likely enough. Those 1060's don't produce a crazy amount of heat.

michael8721

Hi George,

From the looks of the pictures the back has a exhaust and i found a picture with a Intake fan on the front, (and space on the sides) if the mounts aren't there, i would say its a matter of making them fit, a bit of customization. :) my GTX 1060 doesn't get too hot,m but then again i don't over power it either so its hard to say. with that said though I've heard and seen on other forums of people complaining about their Temps.
If you do have the money there i would definitely suggest liquid cooling though but then again not sure if you have the room, this is coming from someone who likes the best. :)

Michael.

Calin

Does the case really have no fans? You could buy a cheap fan and use it as an exhaust at the back.
Also, blower style coolers are usually better for small cases like yours. You can get the Founders Edition straight from Nvidia's site (I believe they only ship to the US and Canada for some dumb reason), or you can get something like this.