Geil or Corsair?

OS Dragon

I have never seen Geil in action but I know that Corsair is reliable. My personal pref would have to be Kingston. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Geil WHAT versus Corsair WHAT? Or are you speaking from a financial investment perspective?

Phippsp

Geil PC3200 400mhz 1GB (512x2)

Cosair PC3200 400mhz 1GB (512x2).

I danno does anyone have suggestions on memory that is 150.00 or under. 2 512 sticks Duel Channel 184-pin PC 3200? Going to be putting them on

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 mobo.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok perhaps i should have been more specific .... what SERIES of memory are you comparing :)

schmeggin

Phippsp said:
Geil PC3200 400mhz 1GB (512x2)

Cosair PC3200 400mhz 1GB (512x2).

I danno does anyone have suggestions on memory that is 150.00 or under. 2 512 sticks Duel Channel 184-pin PC 3200? Going to be putting them on

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 mobo.

I think you need to make a decision based on your own preference - but their are plenty of articles comparing their performance. Take a look at some of these articles: http://anandtech.com/memory/

There is no definitively "this is better than that" answer. They are both reputable brands.

schmeggin

Praetor said:
Note quite sure what this should illustrate? Both sets of customers are very satisfied - but the price difference is huge - although I am not completely sure that these DIMMs are exactly compatible in terms of timings.

Here in Oz, Corsair 3200 c2 1024MB kit is reasonably cheap (AUD$281 or about US$200). This is great RAM and would be my preference. Geil RAM with the same timings is offered at an almost identical price.

Yeti

VIP Member
Note quite sure what this should illustrate? Both sets of customers are very satisfied
I think Praetor was to point out that there are different timings (and thus differences in performance) - the Geil had a CAS latency of 2.5 whereas the Corsair had a latency of 2 (which is very good). There probably are other differences but I'm not all that familiar with memory technologies. Overclocking and stability are probably a factor also.