General port questions...

kreg

sorry if this has been discussed, but my searches yielded no help. in order to host a multiplayer game of 'Madden06' on pc, you need to have the correct ports open. sound easy? not to me.

i know how to get to my router settings, but im lost after that. everywhere i look tells me 'your router or isp will tell you how to open these ports.' negative, they give a very basic idea of the whole concept.

heres what the manual tells me:
"HTTP:80(outbound only)
HTTPS:443(outbound only)
TCP:135000, 28400-28499, 32768-65535(outbound only)
UDP:1795, 1797(inbound and outbound)

pretty foreign to me. i can get to the point where i can setup a new port fowarding 'profile'. then it asks for ranges of ports and talks about WAN and a few other things that conufuse the piss out of me.

sorry if it its confusing, i did my best :D
any help is greatly appreciated.

kreg

i have a westell, and their support is not nearly as good as netgears. its been a big circle of confusion. thx though. any other suggestions welcome!

ilovefishsticks

tcp is transmission control protocol. If you are gonna run a game server you most likey wont want udp. udp is made for speed and doesent check for errors for the most part. What OS are you running? If its xp sp2 you may need to open the port from the built in firewall

kreg

i run xp. someone recently told me i may not be able to do it at all, nor can anyone else with a router, due to the fact that madden is not 'compatible' for hosting. you would think the ppl i play online would help me out, but they are all douches :D