Get your gear out!

G80FTW

Pretty much the extent of my photography equipment:

:D

Hopefully next month though, I plan on "trading" this camera in for a DSLR. Since an entry level DSLR isnt much more expensive than this. It gets the job done for me though. Best point and shoot Iv worked with. Its lacking a few things that I want though, mostly a viewfinder. Almost impossible to get good focus without a viewfinder.

G80FTW

My cheap telephoto lens :D

60-700mm f/12

Its actually not horribly bad as a telephoto lens considering it wasnt made for a camera. But my camera mounts perfectly to it. I do have to crop the pictures down but all in all its not bad for $50 and Im only using a point and shoot so its not like I would take amazing pictures with it anyway.

The only picture I have taken with it so far. Plan to try and get pictures of the moon, but the damn moon decides to be under me at night now so will have to wait till this weekend when the moon is out during the day.

Geoff

VIP Member
My cheap telephoto lens :D

60-700mm f/12

Its actually not horribly bad as a telephoto lens considering it wasnt made for a camera. But my camera mounts perfectly to it. I do have to crop the pictures down but all in all its not bad for $50 and Im only using a point and shoot so its not like I would take amazing pictures with it anyway.

The only picture I have taken with it so far. Plan to try and get pictures of the moon, but the damn moon decides to be under me at night now so will have to wait till this weekend when the moon is out during the day.

That's awesome! I didn't think it was that easy to connect your camera to a telescope.

spirit

Staff member
That's awesome! I didn't think it was that easy to connect your camera to a telescope.

Oh yeah, there are mounts out there which you can buy that allow you to attach your camera body to a telescope. Pretty sure my local photography shop sells them.

G80FTW

Oh yeah, there are mounts out there which you can buy that allow you to attach your camera body to a telescope. Pretty sure my local photography shop sells them.

Yup. I hear some can be very expensive though. Luckily with a point and shoot camera, it just so happens that my lens fits perfectly into the slot where the eye peice does and the mounting screws hold it in place. Im actually going to find a way to mount it to the eye peice though which will get rid of the need to crop the pictures and prevent me from damaging the motor in the lens.

G80FTW

Perfected the setup. Used duct tape in the end to flush the camera lens with the eye piece on the telescope. Works almost too good. The only problem is setting up the tripod to hold the camera for taking pictures is a pain but well worth it.

Punk

Staff member
Perfected the setup. Used duct tape in the end to flush the camera lens with the eye piece on the telescope. Works almost too good. The only problem is setting up the tripod to hold the camera for taking pictures is a pain but well worth it.

Picssss!!!!

G80FTW

Nikon D3100 2 Lens Kit

Finally got a real camera, the Nikon D3100 kit from best buy that came with the standard 18-55mm lens and a nice 55-200mm lens. Im having alot of fun with the 55-200mm lens.

spirit

Staff member
Nice, they're good cameras. I see you've also got a flashgun.

I can't speak for the 55-200 (since I own the 55-300) but I can say that the kit 18-55 lens is a really good lens. :)

G80FTW

Nice, they're good cameras. I see you've also got a flashgun.

I can't speak for the 55-200 (since I own the 55-300) but I can say that the kit 18-55 lens is a really good lens. :)

I can say that it has made me want to get 2 more lenses in the future. The F/1.8 35mm for night photography that I seen and maybe one with a little more zoom.

Fatback

VIP Member
My Sony Gear

10502241736_942c3d1131_b.jpg

Sony Alpha A33
Bower SFD296S Flash
Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Sigma Macro 28-80mm f3.5-5.6
Minolta 35-70mm f4
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Minolta 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 II

My Canon Gear. I just picked all this up Yesterday for $100 from a friend. Everyting is in perfect condition. Thinking about selling it if anyone may be interested.

10502275924_89a1e574b0_b.jpg

Canon Rebel XT/350D
Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II
Canon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 III

And all of it in my bag.

10502246856_06252b0b42_b.jpg

My not look like it but there is 2 bodies, 7 lenses, a flash, plus batteries, memory cards, and everything else in that one bag. It's a tight fit but I got it all in there.

spirit

Staff member
I can say that it has made me want to get 2 more lenses in the future. The F/1.8 35mm for night photography that I seen and maybe one with a little more zoom.

I've had a play with the f/1.8 35mm with my D3200. It's a really nice affordable lens actually. I've got some test shots of it on my Flickr if you're interested here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489146944/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489145798/in/photostream/

I was going to buy it, so I went to my local photography shop to have a go, but when I told the sales person that I wanted to do landscapes he recommend the Sigma 10-20 f/4.0-5.6 to me instead (which for landscapes is a better lens). I took some test shots with that - just to give you an idea of how wide 10mm is (even on a crop body), here is a test shot I took with it http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489145602/ and in B&W http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489144284/

So, I think my next lens purchase is definitely going to be the Sigma 10-20 f/4.0-5.6, but I might get the 35mm a bit later down the line. I'm not too sure what I'd do with the 35mm but as you said, it's good for night photography because of the large aperture.

As for a longer lens, I've got the 55-300 and you can zoom in pretty close to things with that. Again, look on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/sets/72157633401330395/ there's a load of shots I've taken with my 55-300. It's a great lens but I'm not too sure if I'd upgrade from a 55-200, unless you'd be prepared to get rid of the 55-200 perhaps. As you can see, I use it mainly for wildlife photography, airshows and flowers.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Thought I'd show a photo of all my equipment.

10514294555_5cb9ceb7f0_b.jpg

From left to right:
LowePro Nova 180 AW bag
Rode VideoMic (Lycote Mount)
Jessops Flashgun 360AFDN
1x SanDisk Extreme 16GB 45MB/s
1x SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s
(There is another SanDisk Extreme 32GB card in the camera body)
Nikon D3200 body
Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR DX
Nikkor AG-S 55-300mm VR DX
Nikon Battery (another one in the camera body)
Nikon ML-L3 IR remote

I also own a Hahnel Triad 30 Lite tripod and a Fuji FinePix S4000 bridge camera which is what I used to take this photo, both of which can be seen in the photo below (which I took my phone).

WP_000227_zpsbfacf226.jpg

G80FTW

I've had a play with the f/1.8 35mm with my D3200. It's a really nice affordable lens actually. I've got some test shots of it on my Flickr if you're interested here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489146944/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489145798/in/photostream/

I was going to buy it, so I went to my local photography shop to have a go, but when I told the sales person that I wanted to do landscapes he recommend the Sigma 10-20 f/4.0-5.6 to me instead (which for landscapes is a better lens). I took some test shots with that - just to give you an idea of how wide 10mm is (even on a crop body), here is a test shot I took with it http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489145602/ and in B&W http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/9489144284/

So, I think my next lens purchase is definitely going to be the Sigma 10-20 f/4.0-5.6, but I might get the 35mm a bit later down the line. I'm not too sure what I'd do with the 35mm but as you said, it's good for night photography because of the large aperture.

As for a longer lens, I've got the 55-300 and you can zoom in pretty close to things with that. Again, look on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/sets/72157633401330395/ there's a load of shots I've taken with my 55-300. It's a great lens but I'm not too sure if I'd upgrade from a 55-200, unless you'd be prepared to get rid of the 55-200 perhaps. As you can see, I use it mainly for wildlife photography, airshows and flowers.

Well, when I said something with more zoom I was thinking more along the lines of something around 700mm. If I could ever find something in my price range haha. The 55-200mm lens is certainly getting the job done for me though. I also wouldnt mind having a 10mm lens. But my primary focus right now is to learn how to use this thing! I took 2 years of photography in high school, been using cameras since elementary school, but this is actually the first DSLR I have used. Never could afford one until now. And now that I have one, I am learning what a beast it is compared to all the point and shoots I have owned in the past. Sure, I could just put it on auto and take great pictures but thats no fun to me. Right now Im taking pictures in full manual and aperture priority modes.

My biggest problem seems to be focusing. It looks in focus through my viewfinder but then after I take the picture it seems blurry. Maybe its just the cheap lenses but it seems to do fine in autofocus.

spirit

Staff member
There's the 600m Nikkor but it costs an arm and a leg and those long lenses are usually best off on the DX bodies probably. They'd seriously dwarf a D3100 haha! ;)

It's good that you're learning with all the manual modes. Are you also shooting in RAW? If you want to edit, then RAW all the way!

G80FTW

There's the 600m Nikkor but it costs an arm and a leg and those long lenses are usually best off on the DX bodies probably. They'd seriously dwarf a D3100 haha! ;)

It's good that you're learning with all the manual modes. Are you also shooting in RAW? If you want to edit, then RAW all the way!

Id love a 600mm. How many arms and legs are we talking? Im sure after a year of saving I may be able to afford 2 more good quality lenses. Also, both the lenses mine came with say DX on them. Is the D3100 not a DX body?

And yes, Im shooting in just RAW.

Fatback

VIP Member
Here is everything I own, accept for the accessories.

1385090_761380787221619_72044670_n.jpg

and Just added a Minolta X-570 to the collection earlier.

1378388_761561323870232_1791606561_n.jpg