Getting a new computer, I need your help.

fultz

Well, i've been looking to get a new computer for some time since my new computer sucks really bad and I can't even play the older 3D games on it. Just for your information I will tell you what my computer has.

Intel Celeron Northwood 2.20GHz, 100MHz FSB, 128KB Cache
Intel D845GVSR Motherboard
256MB PC-2700 DDR-SDRAM @ 133MHz
Western Digital 37.2GB IDE HDD [2MB Cache]
Intel(R) 82845G 64MB Onboard Graphics
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B [CD-RW+DVD-ROM] Combo Drive
Intergraded Onboard AC-97 Sound

I get 38-40fps in Max Payne @ 1024x768 with all settings set to default. The game is generally playable.

I can get 15fps in GTA3 @ 800x600 with all settings set to lowest in basic areas, if it gets graphically intense the frame rate drops more.

I tried running Max Payne 2 and I get 10fps in the general game and 4fps in intense areas with shooting. The game is completely unplayable and it looks like im watching a slideshow.

I recently tried my luck with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Demo and I get 5fps with all settings on lowest @ 1024x768.

Im looking for a reasonably priced rig, im not cheap but im not rich either. I have been looking around and I notice that the general computer I want is extremely cheap but the thing is I can't find any that has the proper graphics card in it. I want a minimum of the Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256-Bit 256mb Graphics Card. Other acceptable graphics cards include the Ultra Version and the Radeon x800 XT or x850 XT PE. I know these are extremely high end graphics cards but I plan on doing some intense gaming. I will probably be running all games @ 1280x1024 with max settings and max AA and AF but only if I can still get good frame rates. I can find plenty of computers with the proper stuff in it but it's hard to find ones with the 6800GT and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer. This is the PC I would like to have, everything doesn't need to be exactly the same but as close to possible would be nice:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache w/HT
Any Excellent Motherboard
1GB DDR2 Ram @ 533MHz
250GB Serial-ATA150 7200RPM 8mb Cache HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb [256-Bit] w/TV-Out, DVI, VGA
16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
10/100 Ethernet Card
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
56K Modem

I have also seen some nice athlon-64 computers and this seems in my price range:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2000MHz FSB 512kb Cache 939 Pin
Nvidia nForce4 Motherboard with SLI
1GB DDR2 Ram @ 533MHz
Nvidia GeForce 6800GT [256-Bit] 256mb PCI Express x16
250GB Serial ATA150 7200RPM 8mb Cache HDD
16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
10/100 Ethernet Card
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
56k Modem

It's okay if I have to buy the Speakers/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse seperate. Now, the case should have sufficiant power supply for the contents I want but other than that I don't really care what case, the cooling should also be sufficiant. When I say cheap, I mean im willing to spend over $1000 on a configuration like this, Im just not willing to spend $1800-$2000 or some other rediculous amount of money.

The motherboard should be a decent one that can support at least 2 hard drives in raid. The computer itself doesn't need to have two drives but if it doesn't chances are I will be installing a second one sometime in the future. I know if I built the computer myself I could afford this easily but that's not as easy as it sounds for somebody who doesn't know anything about motherboards, cooling, power supply, and I especially don't know how to install a video card that has it's own power supply and takes up two slots...

Im not computer illiterate but any help on where to buy a system like this or how to get a system like this (even if it requires buying a computer and the card seperate) maybe somebody here could help me figure out what contents to buy and what computer and then I can add the card in.

Does anybody also know how much the nvidia geforce 6800GT pci version costs?

Thanks for any help I get. :D

Last edited:

fultz

Is the 512kb cache going to cut away from my performance in games? Im sure the 2GHz fsb will help :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
I would personally choose the AMD build you spec'd out. a few questions though...

Why an SLi mobo if ur only using one gfx card? thats like an extra $150 right there.

Why a modem AND a network AND the onboard LAN...?

What type of powersupply are you using? This is usually the biggest problem, getting an awesome computer an trying to run it on a cheap PSU with weak rails and bad lines.

fultz

4W4K3 said:
I would personally choose the AMD build you spec'd out. a few questions though...

Why an SLi mobo if ur only using one gfx card? thats like an extra $150 right there.

Why a modem AND a network AND the onboard LAN...?

What type of powersupply are you using? This is usually the biggest problem, getting an awesome computer an trying to run it on a cheap PSU with weak rails and bad lines.

Im not sure why a sli mobo, the nforce4 is the only motherboard i know of that allows 2 hard drives i guess (its actually the only mobo I know anything about), any better suggestions? Im not very educated on mobo's. I need the modem for just incase I don't have access to HSI and the nic is for the HSI, the lan? I don't remember putting a lan in the specs.

Haven't really thought of PSU, what would you recommend? Maybe 420Watt or so? Would that be minimum?

4W4K3

VIP Member
fultz said:
Im not sure why a sli mobo, the nforce4 is the only motherboard i know of that allows 2 hard drives i guess (its actually the only mobo I know anything about), any better suggestions? Im not very educated on mobo's. I need the modem for just incase I don't have access to HSI and the nic is for the HSI, the lan? I don't remember putting a lan in the specs.

Haven't really thought of PSU, what would you recommend? Maybe 420Watt or so? Would that be minimum?

i'd say 420watts minimum, thats a power hungry vid card and if u do overclock its even more stressful. What you need to find is something with dual 12v rails (preferabbly) and lots of Amps on each rail for stability and less fluctuation. Maybe a 500watter if its affordable.

I really don't know alot myself about the new NF4 board either, i just know that SLi boards are usualy ~$100 more. someone else should know that kind of stuff....

fultz

How about cooling? If I get the P4 3.4GHz it will probably be a prescott so beware. I heard they run very hot.

4W4K3

VIP Member
fultz said:
How about cooling? If I get the P4 3.4GHz it will probably be a prescott so beware. I heard they run very hot.

yes some of them run pretty hot even on idle. maybe ~50C if you have minimum airflow. An aftermarket copper cooler with alot of fins and a high CFM fan should keep you more than safe at stock speeds. that and a few case fans and a cool room should drop temps even more.

fultz

Im still open to suggestions, Im looking for a price tag of around $1500 or less, im not building it but I could buy a system and somebody could help me install a seperate graphics card I guess. Anything I should tweak for a price tag of around $1500? Also, Any suggestions on where to get the PC (new egg is a bit expensive for the system I want plus it doesnt have everything I want) Im sure for $1500 I should be able to get a PC with that stuff in it without a monitor, speakers keyboard or mouse.

Im looking for something that will perform very well in games. I will be gaming @ 1280x1024x32 in Windows XP or Windows 64-Bit depending on which processor I get. I will want Max Settings and I don't plan on buying another PC for at least 3 Years. The Occasional upgrades are fine but I want something that's going to last me good.