getting second computer on internet via wifi

ydono

I receive my internet through time warner cable. I have wifi that my phones and laptops use. I have Ethernet cable that my main computer in the office uses. I have a second computer in the basement that I would like to have on the internet. Rather than stringing a second Ethernet cable down there (because the computer doesn't have wifi) I would rather use some sort of wifi usb "stick" to connect via wifi.
I confirmed with my cable company that the cable box for my computer/internet is a gateway wifi router.
Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

I have an OptiPlex 360 by the way.

ydono

I'm actually going to use an HP Pavillion downstairs now with VISTA. How do I know if it has pci-e slot and which pci card type it needs?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm actually going to use an HP Pavillion downstairs now with VISTA. How do I know if it has pci-e slot and which pci card type it needs?
Open the case and look at it.

video-card-slot-type-i11.jpg

ydono

tried uploading a photo but it didn't work. I have one white slot that is used and looks to be about 3-4 inches. I have three empty black slots. One the same size as the white and two seem to be about one inch. Which?

ydono

OK. Would that mean that the longer black one is a pci e x16? And would the longer one do a better job?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
OK. Would that mean that the longer black one is a pci e x16? And would the longer one do a better job?
For a wireless card they would act the same. You can put a PCI-e x1 card in a PCI-e x16 slot.