Getting windows disk to boot from ext drive

Schelski

I think that my last option for getting windows help and support centre to work is by running the repair option in the windows install.

The only cd drive that I have on my computer is external because the original drive crapped out.

I went into BIOS and made the "usb device" run first but my computer still won't boot from the windows install disc.
I've done this sort of thing on my old computer. It is just this friggin compaq.

whs

You cannot boot from a USB drive - on any PC, not only Compac. Have to buy a new internal.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You cannot boot from a USB drive - on any PC, not only Compac. Have to buy a new internal.

^Really now. Then tell me how I plugged an external CD drive into my netbook and installed a clean copy of XP Pro on it? What you just said is incorrect.

Try pressing the F12 key (may be different for Compaq - whichever key it may be) to access the Boot Menu and select the CD drive.

If that doesn't work, your CD may have an issue.

Last edited:

deanj20

That's incorrect. Most newer computers can boot from USB - it's common practice for computer technicians to boot computers using a live-USB drive for diagnostics.

However, many older computers cannot boot from USB. I imagine anything made in the last 5 years or so would be able to.

Try loading the boot menu like voyagerfan99 suggested or choose move USB up the boot priority list in BIOS.