Getting Wireless Signal from 75 Yards Away

philgons

We don’t have internet access in our new condo, but our community center, which is about 75 yards away, has wireless, which we are free to use.

I'm thinking about buying a Cantenna. Does anyone know if it will pick up a good signal from this distance?

I have two computers. How would I set it up? Is there a device that I could connect the Cantenna to that would allow me to receive the signal and then pass it along (either wired or wireless) to my router, which could then send it (wired and wireless) to my desktop and laptop? Or would I need to buy two Cantennas and a wireless card for both the laptop and the desktop? Just trying to figure out the best way for the least amount of money to get the signal to my two computers.

heyman421

banned
that's a stretch

i'd buy one locally so you can return it if it doesn't work

or build one out of a directional antenna and a pringles can

philgons

Thanks. What about the second part of my question? What device do I want to connect it to? Is there something like an access point that can receive a signal? Or will I have to buy (1) two separate Cantennas and (2) two separate wireless cards (one for the desktop and one for the laptop)?

philgons

Okay. I've done a little more research and stumbled across terms like wireless client bridge, range expander, wireless signal repeater, and ethernet converter. Is one of these what I would want to connect the Cantenna to in order to send it wirelessly or wired to my home network?

holdenssx

The only thing that I can think to do is to get a device, such as this. That product would allow you to receive the wireless signal from your community center, and then convert it to ethernet. You would plug the ethernet cord into one of the 4 jacks on the back if it, and then insert that into the Modem In port on your router. From there you would have to see which setting works on your router (you might have to fool around with static and dynamic IP address settings, but it should work). I believe the Buffalo product I linked to has a R-SMA (reverse SMA) connector for an antenna (you would unscrew the present antennta) so that way you can add a higher-gain antenna.

I think this would work, but listen to what others have to say first.

philgons

Thanks for the advice. The BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter looks like a great choice. So I should be able to buy that, connect a Cantenna to it to grab the signal from the community center, then connect the Buffalo to my Linksys Router and from there send it wirelessly and wired to my network.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this plan? Any better options out there? This could save us $50/month, since we're already paying for the internet in the community center with our monthly condo fees.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Can you possibly run a cable? 75 yards will be tricky with consumer equipment, you would most likely have to purchase enterprise level equipment to broadcast that length, and who knows what the FCC regulations on that would be.

philgons

Running a cable across the parking lot is not an option. :)

But it is 75 yards of wide open space. No walls. No nothing. It's a straight shot from our condo to the community center. Is that still asking too much from a Cantenna?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Running a cable across the parking lot is not an option. :)

But it is 75 yards of wide open space. No walls. No nothing. It's a straight shot from our condo to the community center. Is that still asking too much from a Cantenna?

Well, some say a cantenna can broadcast up to 1500+ feet, which would be approx 500 yards. However, I would recommend an actual produced one, that is certified and tested. I doubt a home made antenna is as reliable as a certified manufactured one. Ornioco makes some external antennas you may want to look at.

here is their homepage http://www.proxim.com/

If you do make one yourself, here is how you do it.

http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/hnet.html