Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (BIOS update?)

ssal

This motherboard was designed for AMD up to 2nd generation CPU. I understanding that the BIOS can be updated for the 3rd generation.

Someone said that the manufacturer may have updated the BIOS already.

How do I find out if the BIOS is updated, i.e. before I make the purchase? Is there some S/N guideline, or I have to ask, and who do I ask?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt you'll have the latest bios version on the MB when you buy it. There will be nothing on the box or motherboard that will tell you what bios revision is installed until you boot it. Even if the cpu isn't fully supported by the bios it may still boot to where you can update the bios.

beers

Staff member
BIOS F40 adds 3rd gen support.

Chances are way low that it comes in the box with that or something newer, however. If it's anything like my X370 board it straight won't do a damn thing unless it has that version or newer.

Darren

Staff member
I've seen MSI X470 boards being sold with a 3rd gen supporting BIOS out of the box. Unless it explicitly states it's been updated for it, you have to assume it's not. Friend just did a build with an X470 board and a 3700X out of the box no issue.

Darren

Staff member
When it's updated, it is still backward compatible to the 2nd gen, right?
Oh for sure, makes no business or technical sense for it not to.

If it didn't, you'd flash the BIOS on a 2nd gen chip and then after it reboots it bricks itself? Nope, works fine.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
They put a sticker on the box of new boards that ship with the updated bios, an orange thing that says Ryzen 3000 Ready. Like this MSI board
w83dcdnozhf31.jpg

I would contact the manufacturer because they will be able to confirm what bios version gets shipped with the board you want
An alternative is to buy the board then check the bios version but I wouldn’t recommend this
Go on the motherboard manufacturer website and search for the board it might tell you what version the bios is when shipped

ssal

My original thought was to have one M.2 SSD for the video project, and one SATA SSD for the OS and programs/apps/cache. But the price of a 250-500gb M.2 SSD is the same as the SATA. I believe the M.2 is a faster drive than the SATA SSD, does it make sense to have two M.2 SSD?

I want a separate drive for the OS from the video project, thus the two drives.

I believe I will need a MBO that supports 2 M.2 slots. Would this one do . . .

ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I see most board support gen3 M.2 and I have heard that gen4 is coming along quick. Is there one that would support gen4?

Or can you suggest one? I also need it to support up to 64gb of DDR4 3200.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The second slot is shared with the 2 of the SATA ports and the first m2 is shared with the PCIe 4x slot (the 2nd 16x physical slot). As long as you aren't planning on using all those together.