Gigabyte GA-8GPNXP Duo IDE problem/question

Stevetama

So, I was putting this computer together, and I have no SATA drives for this computer. I tried putting HD on primary, and CD on secondary. It didn't like that, so i set the HD to master and the CD to slave. I figured that i had to install the Motherboard drivers for it to reconize the secondary IDE buss. Well today I tried connecting my zip drive to it, and it didn't work.... So i am not sure if there is a setting to enable the secondary ide busses... cause its a weird MB, there is one buss for primary and two for seconday, for a total of 6 ide devices, and there are 6 SATA. Are they figuring that most people won't use more than 2 IDE and somehow have the secondary side disabled. Its not in bios, i checked thoroughly.. Thanks ~Steve

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
that mobo should only have 4 sata channels not 6 and those 2 'secondary' pata channels are actually your ide raid channels. from the reference pic on gigabytes page, the green ide channels will be your pri and sec raid on the 8212 raid controller and the red one runs through the 915p ide controller. needless to say you cant put cdroms or zip drives on a raid controller

the 8212 ide channels have thier own detection so they wont show up in the bios.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So, I was putting this computer together, and I have no SATA drives for this computer. I tried putting HD on primary, and CD on secondary. It didn't like that, so i set the HD to master and the CD to slave. I figured that i had to install the Motherboard drivers for it to reconize the secondary IDE buss. Well today I tried connecting my zip drive to it, and it didn't work.... So i am not sure if there is a setting to enable the secondary ide busses... cause its a weird MB, there is one buss for primary and two for seconday, for a total of 6 ide devices, and there are 6 SATA. Are they figuring that most people won't use more than 2 IDE and somehow have the secondary side disabled. Its not in bios, i checked thoroughly.. Thanks ~Steve
:confused:

that mobo should only have 4 sata channels not 6 and those 2 'secondary' pata channels are actually your ide raid channels. from the reference pic on gigabytes page, the green ide channels will be your pri and sec raid on the 8212 raid controller and the red one runs through the 915p ide controller. needless to say you cant put cdroms or zip drives on a raid controller

the 8212 ide channels have thier own detection so they wont show up in the bios.
Ahh so thats what you're talkin about oh ok ... aye the 8212 is a wierd one ... its odd that the Gigabute wouldnt come with proper IDE chans (i would have expected one at least .. otherwise theres not really much you can do for otpical drives) ... so checking a bit more .. http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=708&pageID=1072 ... you do have a PATA channel ... so thats what you need to install the optical and ZIP drives on

Now if you really dont/cant use those channels then you can use PATA->SATA convertors but my experience with them have shown they are tad flakey

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
just as a follow up, you can't put any ide drive you want to boot off of on the raid channels.
its odd that the Gigabute wouldnt come with proper IDE chans (i would have expected one at least .. otherwise theres not really much you can do for otpical drives)
the board is pretty standard setup for 915/25 based, they both come with 1 pata channel and most motherboard manufacturers add either the 8212 or some via ide raid controller.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the board is pretty standard setup for 915/25 based, they both come with 1 pata channel and most motherboard manufacturers add either the 8212 or some via ide raid controller.
Yea for some reason i interpreted what you said as "the only PATA connnectors are the RAID ones" hence i did a lookup :)

schmeggin

I'd like to get one of the motherboards. Tell me how it goes when its all set up. Are you running DDR or DDR2?