Gigabyte Ga-965p-s3 Doa!

Necopotence

I am almost positive it is your RAM. I have the DS3 (exactly the same, except my board has all-solid capacitors), and many people have had similar problems...

Grr, makes me wish I had not taken it to a repair shop. I held no false pretense that he would fix it, only that he would find the problem. I have one stick of lower grade ram I could have use to do this myself. Extortion I tell ya!

Necopotence

Update

Well, the repair guy called me confirming it was in fact the OCZ Ram, but he said there is no way to get to OCZ 6400 Ram to work with my S3 Mobo. DOes anyone know if this is the case? Will I have to RMA the Ram for some Cosair?

Rambo

Well, the repair guy called me confirming it was in fact the OCZ Ram, but he said there is no way to get to OCZ 6400 Ram to work with my S3 Mobo. DOes anyone know if this is the case? Will I have to RMA the Ram for some Cosair?

Has he even tried it with a stick of DDR2 RAM which requires 1.8v?

Necopotence

Has he even tried it with a stick of DDR2 RAM which requires 1.8v?

He stuck a lowr voltage stick of ram into the mobo and it booted just fine, but when sticking another stick into the board it had the same symtopms as before. I do no know however if the stick he was using was 1.8v.

Last edited:

Rambo

He stuck a lowr voltage stick of ram into the mobo and it booted just fine, but when sticking another stick into the board it had the same symtopms as before. I do no know however if the stick he was using was 1.8v.

But did he bump it up to 1.9v - 2.0v with the crappy RAM in? Then turn it off, and put the OCZ RAM in? That is what you have to do...

Necopotence

But did he bump it up to 1.9v - 2.0v with the crappy RAM in? Then turn it off, and put the OCZ RAM in? That is what you have to do...

I understand what your saying, but I have no technical know how to do this personally and I'm pretty sure the repair guy either dosn't want to do this, hasn't crossed his mind, or dosn't know how. Is there a guide for doing this and can doing this damage the mobo or ram?

Rambo

I understand what your saying, but I have no technical know how to do this personally and I'm pretty sure the repair guy either dosn't want to do this, hasn't crossed his mind, or dosn't know how. Is there a guide for doing this and can doing this damage the mobo or ram?

No, it won't damage anything - just a bump of .1v... The most it could cause, is instability when booting, but by then, the BIOS will revert back to the old settings, and it will be fine again.

Basically, you have to go to the M.I.T (Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker) part of the BIOS (refer to manual), and select the vDimm voltage, and +.1 or +.2, to make it total the requirement for your RAM.

It's simple really. I have my Corsair running at 2.0v when it should only be at 1.9v. :)

Saurian

Easy as pie. And for that type of overvolt to hurt yoru ram, would be an act of god, or the crappiest ram possible.

Go in and explain/ask exactly what we are telling you. Ask him if he bumped up the memory voltage from the stock 1.8v to the OCZ-specified 2.0v's on the other ram, then shut down and installed the OCZ ram back in. This is teh only way to diagnose if its the ram really. You know the board is alive, at least. While you are there and he has the other stick of ram in, you might consider having them flash the bios if it isn't too much money for them to do so. Bringing the bios up to date will also help stability, as Cromewell alluded to.