going from a Sempron to a 4.3Ghz i7 930 & SSD

douradophoto

the last shipment of my stuff comes into tomorrow
the computer i'm on right now runs an AMD sempron 2400+ (2003) overclocked from 1.6ghz to 2.1ghz :p
1 gig of ram
onboard video :D (64mb shared from the ram)
320 gig 5400 drive

tomorrow i'll be on an 17 930 with an intel x25m 80gb a gts 250 and 6 gigs of 1600 ram

i dont even know how I will react to the difference :eek:

i've been using the semprob for about 6 years now :(

wish me luck

p.s this setup isn't for gaming but I might just try it out since I'll be able to, finally

BuddyLee81

the last shipment of my stuff comes into tomorrow
the computer i'm on right now runs an AMD sempron 2400+ (2003) overclocked from 1.6ghz to 2.1ghz :p
1 gig of ram
onboard video :D (64mb shared from the ram)
320 gig 5400 drive

tomorrow i'll be on an 17 930 with an intel x25m 80gb a gts 250 and 6 gigs of 1600 ram

i dont even know how I will react to the difference :eek:

i've been using the semprob for about 6 years now :(

wish me luck

p.s this setup isn't for gaming but I might just try it out since I'll be able to, finally

What motherboard did you get for the i7 930?

funkysnair

VIP Member
you will notice a very big difference there, lol!

the ssd alone is one major upgrade as the benifits are felt in everything you do, boot up is like 15sec to usable desktop and mine shuts down in less than 5sec

personally i wouldnt have bought the i7 930 i would have bought the i7 920 and saved a little cash and just bump the i7 920 up to the 930 spec!

all in all that i7 rig you have bought is a gaming rig, its not high end but it will play games well

so good luck and post your comments on the difference

douradophoto

you will notice a very big difference there, lol!

the ssd alone is one major upgrade as the benifits are felt in everything you do, boot up is like 15sec to usable desktop and mine shuts down in less than 5sec

personally i wouldnt have bought the i7 930 i would have bought the i7 920 and saved a little cash and just bump the i7 920 up to the 930 spec!

all in all that i7 rig you have bought is a gaming rig, its not high end but it will play games well

so good luck and post your comments on the difference

the 930 is 10 bucks more, why would I want to pass that up? and can overclock higher than a 920.

i got the ga x58a ud3r it's got usb 3.0 and sata 3

the 930 is still a 1366 chip so any motherboard than ran 920s 50s 60s etc will run it as well.

Skorax

Not trying to start a debate here, but for the difference in 920 and 930, doesn't the 920 overclock better?

funkysnair

VIP Member
i have heard it does, i know the multiplyer on the 930 is higher but im sure it doesnt clock as high

dont quote me mind, but i would go for the 930 if it was only a little bit more expensive than the 920

douradophoto

here's how the overclock turned out. i'm very pleased. i actually learned how to overclock on this same exact forum about 4-5 years ago on the Sempron :D

5kivjr.jpg