Going to try and reinstall XP-Couple of questions

My 2 year old computer just died the other day. Had a pop up tell me my computer is infected and I was to download what there were trying to sell me. I didn't even click on it but my computer simply stopped working. Called the computer repair guy and he said he get's a couple calls a day with people having the same problem. I still have my 8 year old Dell that i'm using now. I want to try and do a clean install of XP on my computer. What I use my computer for is internet,printer and Kodak Easyshare. Thats all we use our computer for. I have no problem installing the printer or the camera but what info do I need so the internet will run? I'm hooked up with the cable company. I have my phone,cable and internet service with them. So is there information that XP will ask for concerning my internet set up? Thanks!

PC eye

banned
You would setup the Outlook Express mail account the same as seen with the 2yr. old system as far as the assigned ISP user name and password information there as well as making sure the modem driver is on. The first page seen with a successful logon will be the typical MS page where you then would go to the current home page and proceed to the IE tools>internet options to see that assigned as default by simply clicking the "use current" button followed by the apply button.

For seeing the modem driver for cable go on correctly you can use the add new hardware wizard in the Control Panel by going through the list and selecting the network adapter item followed by browsing to the driver disk provided by the ISP. The process is simple while most of the difficulties seen is either a simple mistyping or a need to fight getting the drivers to go on fully if no connection is immediate.

PC eye

banned
On most of the cable modems you have the option of Lan or usb. Make sure Lan is an option on a system that old(not likely). If the 8yr. old sees a pair of usb ports(Most likely) that would be the preferred choice. You may need a hub however for seeing other things like connecting a camcorder for viewing or anything more then a printer added due to the lack of ports seen on systems back in 2000.